Mash Tun Braid Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalmYourself

Reaction score
Just sitting and thinking, is it possible to reduce deadspace in my cooler mashtun by placing the braid in the corner and slightly raising the opposite corner while lautering?

Like so:
tund.png

My thinking is that by placing the braid against the side while raising the opposite side slightly it should help reduce the deadspace of the mash tun. All the tuns I've seen on the website have the braid placed in the middle of the tun, not on the side.

So what would the downside be?

When batch sparging, this should work just fine, but for fly sparging I would keep it level.

I've done that, but I decided to calculate the deadspace in my mashtun and just deal with it. I run my braided hose down the center of the cooler. And really, it's only like 550 ml deadspace when it is level.

Really doesn't matter if you are tipping the tun already. A braid doesn't siphon. You just need to tip the tun with the valve at the lowest point.

This. the braid won't siphon, its just the path of least resistance to the valve. So, yes to tipping the MLT, No to worrying much about braid placement for batch sparging.

Fly sparging is a whole different story of course :)

Back