Mash Tun Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Still gathering my equipment for AG brewing. I have two 15G SS pots and the valves for them. I actually bought a 10G SS pot with valve and screens.. but, I'm reconsidering to change to the insulated water jug (Igloo, etc) I found the closeouts at Home Depot today. They had 5G and 10G. I bought the 10G for $41. Still had a few left of each type.

The main reason I went to the cooler type is that I do plan on doing some (even a lot) 3G batches and was concerned about maintaining heat in such a large SS pot.

Even with the 10G insulated cooler I still have some concerns. I guess my question is.. Is there some sort of insulated cap that anyone has found that fits into the cooler that would rest on top of the mash to hold the heat well??? I've seen some chat about putting an aluminum foil cap on top..

What say you? Am I being too anal or what???

Ah, the other question is... If I plan on doing 3-5G AG batches.. certainly not more (Yah, I know.. but, I won't).. is a 10 Tun over kill or will a 5G work just fine. I'm not really into Big Beers.. as I like <6% brews best. Not sure what the general rule of thumb is for #grain/gallon but, I'd bet I'm looking at less than 12# grain for most 5G batches??

Thanks, Bill

12# is pretty much the upper limit of a 5 gallon cooler. I'd stick with a 10 gal just for the flexibility.

And yeah, I'd say you are being too anal. The easiest way to account for extra headspace/cooling is to just preheat the cooler with some boiling water. After that, the heat loss from a 10 gallon cooler is pretty small.

I agree with billl. No need for any sort of "insulated cap". Also, with a 10 gallon mash tun you will be able to produce 5 gallon batches no problem and probably some 10 gallon batches as well since your not really into big beers.

I brew nothing but 5 gallon batches in my 10 gallon cooler. In the summer I don't even lose single degree in temp after dough-in (during a 60 minute mash). In the spring I lost 1F over 60 minutes. I brew in my garage with the door open (so the propane burner doesn't kill me).

Thanks folks.. I was wondering if I should switch to the 5G size. I don't know how the 5G cooler would work for 3G batches.. 5G is way to much for me to get rid of in a reasonable time frame.

Latest posts

Back