mash time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
The Clone Brews books calls for 90 minute mash at 150 degrees on all of the recipes. I have followed the various recipes schedule. However, if conversion has taken place after 60 minutes (via iodine test) can I start the run offs and begin sparging, or should I keep the mash for full 90 minutes per the books instructions

Also, it calls for 90 minute boil. I have found this to be more time than I usually have so I do a 60 minute boil.

Any thoughts on mash time? Thanks .

I'm not too sure about the times involved in mashing. How would you know that conversion was complete after only 60 minutes? I get that the iodine test would show it had started, but I would be afraid you'd get lower gravity with a lower mash time.

For the boil, you could probably shorten it, but you'd have to recalculate the IBUs contributed by each hop addition and probably add more hops to attain the same IBUs.

I adjusted the boil time on Promash program to account for 60 minute boil.

As far as determining when conversion is finished, if the iodine added to the sample remains orange conversion is finished. However, if there is any hint of the test turning black there is still starch in the sample and I will continue mash.

cool. I never knew that. I'd say give it a go a post to let us know when conversion was finished and what grains were used. My bet is the reason the clone brews book says 90 minutes is to ensure those of us who don't use iodine to check conversion don't screw up and lauter too soon.

Yes, once conversion is complete( via iodine test ) your good to go.
Also, not only will you have to adjust your hop additions you will have to
adjust your water volume too. Promash will help you there.

Back