mash temp went too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxcar1

Reaction score
hi guys,

ok,so,...i held my mash temp at around 67c for the hour. then i stupidly switched the element back on but instead of taking my brewbag out, i rushed outside instead because the ISS space station was flying overhead and i wanted to catch a glimpse

skip to 15 minutes later and i had completely forgotten i left my grains in.checked the temp.it was around 80c

what effect will this have on the final product.

If you have a very fine crush as most of the BIAB guys tend to, conversion is normally complete in about 10-15 minutes so you have wort.

80C (176f) is about the top of where mash-out temps should go so you might, just might, have slight chance of astringency depending on mash PH. but I think it unlikely.

Most like result...absolutely nothing different.

Possible tannin extraction? But it'll most likely be OK, too late to do anything now, anyway.

Hope you got a good glimpse... I can't make out **** on that tiny little spec floating across the sky. Hoped to see an astronaut or something, but alas, I must be nearsighted.

Really though, it'll probably turn out fine.

Back