mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I just started my brew day and mashed in at 165 and was waiting for the temp to settle at the designated rest temp. This got me thinking about the variance of temperature within the tun. I moved the prob to different spots in the cooler and got different temps. My question is, is it better to just leave it in one spot and use that temp or move it around and take like an average? I don't want to keep opening the lid to move the probe.

This opinion is to stir thoroughly then leave the probe in one spot. I used to drive myself nuts trying to get an average... eventually it'll even out.

I used to stir it for a bit before I took a temp. Hopefully then it would have reached an equilibrium. I wouldn't worry about it. Stir it for a bit before you take your reading, and adjust accordingly.

yep. stir for about 2 minutes, then let it sit for about 5 or so. you should get a fairly accurate reading anywhere then

Back