Mash temp low, suggestions anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
Hey Y'all, well i am not getting off to a good start here. I have 13lbs of grain in my MT (cooler), and it is at 149 right now, and fading fast. I have already added more strike water than i need, and it can't seem to get the temp up. I am hoping someone out there has a good idea for me!

drain about a half gallon or so and microwave it to boiling, then add back in the MLT. add it in slowly so as not to overshoot the temp

unless you go way high with your strike, like over 2.5 qts per pound, you dont really need to worry about it

also, you shouldnt be 'fading fast' in a cooler-based MT- you should only lose like a degree, maybe two, once the temp stabilizes (are you still not stabilized?)

if you are way low and have way too much water, try doing a decoction to get your temperature up

I've mashed low by accident before and the beer turned out just fine. That's really not that low depending on the style you're brewing and what you are going for. I'm sure this is too late to help but what are you brewing?

also, you shouldnt be 'fading fast' in a cooler-based MT- you should only lose like a degree, maybe two, once the temp stabilizes (are you still not stabilized?)

Yeah, i can't figure it out. I have never had so much trouble keeping the temp up. I never lose more than 2 degrees, but it is pretty cold today-58.
thanks

I've mashed low by accident before and the beer turned out just fine. That's really not that low depending on the style you're brewing and what you are going for. I'm sure this is too late to help but what are you brewing?

I hope so, i just mashed for 90min at 147, hopefully that is good enough! The temp came up after i took some out and heated it up.
I am brewing a SMASH beer, 2row and zeus hops.
Thanks for the input all.

You'll beer will be fine, and besides there's nothing you can do now anyway! Chances are you'll have a fairly low FG but that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

What type of 2 row did you use?

I hope so, i just mashed for 90min at 147, hopefully that is good enough! The temp came up after i took some out and heated it up.
I am brewing a SMASH beer, 2row and zeus hops.
Thanks for the input all.

You made the right choice. You already had too much water. Decoction of the mash water also works great for mashout.

your beer will turn out just fine...might not be award winningg or perfect style-wise, but it will be beer!

I'll make a guess that is you are using a cooler-style mashtun that it is an igloo ice cube. Am I right?:cross:

If I am, those have hollow lids and the heat leaks out really fast...some of that expanding insulating foam from the hardware store pumped into the lid via a couple of drilled holes should take care of the problem.

Good luck!

Next time heat your water 5 degrees hotter than what you are supposed to, equipment corrected. Put the water in your cooler and let the temperature settle down to the non-equipment corrected temp. Dump in your grains and you should be spot on. If you still worry about going low... add the grains when the water is like 2 degrees hotter than normal, and stir the mash until you hit your temp. Always easier to bring it down a few degrees...

Back