Mash Temp jumped, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
So I am trying out a 1 gallon recipe that I am doing on my stove. It is all grain. I dumped the grain in and it settled at about 150 which was fine, however since it is in a normal pot I lost temp quickly, so I put the stove on low to try and raise it. However the temperature jumped before I checked again, and when I looked it was about 180 in there. The total time at this temperature was probably only 5 minutes, but I am worried that I could have screwed something up. Right away I dumped another 3 cups of cold water in and stirred, and got the temp back down pretty quick.

Are there any major negative things that could happen here? I know mashing too high is bad, but this was for about 5 minutes, so hopefully nothing that major would have happened.

Any help?

Relax, don't worry have a homebrew.

You're probably fine, 5 minutes is nothing for a 1hour mash, taste the wort to see if it's sweet, if so, you converted your sugars.

Potentially, you raised the temp to a point where the conversion from starch to sugar stopped, but you may need to hold it at that temp longer than ten minutes in order to stop conversion. I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's fine.

The other possible problem is tannins leeching into the brew. However, it was only 5 minutes so I imagine you're fine. And some people sparge with 180F, they don't seem to have any problems.

I suspect everything is fine, but if you stopped your conversion or leeched tannins, at least it's only a one gallon batch.

I may be proven wrong, but I suspect you're still gonna end up with beer as the end result.

Cheers.

Something like 80% of the conversion typically happens in the first 20 minutes of the mash. So I bet nearly all of it converted unless you started raising the temp immediately after adding grain.

I think your fine. Try putting it in the oven to mash. Set the oven as close to your mash temp. You may get some rise in mash temp but if you watch it, you can shut the oven off.

Latest posts

Back