Mash temp is low...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wburn

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying out my first all grain batch using a converted 70 qt coleman xtreme. I added 3.5 gallons of 165 deg water trying to hit 152. I pre-heated the cooler with boiling water about 10 mins before I doughed in.

My temp came in closer to 145...I added about 2 tea kettles of boiling water so far, and my temp still seems to be just barely hovering at 150.

Should I add some more boiling water? Also, should I let it go a little longer?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

It's a little late now, but next time just add more boiling water.

Pour water into your cooler that's about 5 degrees warmer than strike (YMMV as far as the temperature goes) but that way you don't have to boil some additional water. Then, I just stir the grains until I get to my mash temp and leave it alone.

Hope that helps for next time.

Plenty late by now, but when I want to mash in my coolers (a 10 and a 5 gallon), I heat the water up to about 175 - 180, pour it in the cooler, then add the grains to that. By the time all is said and done, the overall temp is around 155.

Things actually turned out pretty ok...in the end I just tried to keep things simple, and had another home brew. I ended up adding a little more boiling water, and let it sit...Temps settled at almost 152 on the dot. Took about 15 mins to get there, but once I was there I started the clock. An hour later, temp was only down 2 degrees. OG post boil came out at 1.050 and tasted pretty good. Decent airlock activity this morning. Calculated efficiency was about 65% but when OG was only supposed to be 1.051 doesn't really matter to me :)

Latest posts

Back