Mash/Splarge Water amounts/temp questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I am still confused on the ratios of water for mash and splarge. I am doing a mini mash 1lb 2 row with .5lb flaked wheat. So a grain bill of 1.5lb. So if I want to target the 1.25qt/lbgrain ratio it stands to reason i need 1.875 qt/water for my mash.

Since I don't want to go math crazy for a mini mash and there will be some evaporation i am going to round up to 2qts of water.

So my questions are to what temp would i need to heat the water pre grain addition to get it down to 152?

Also to get a feel and in the habit I am going to do a splarge. I am going to rinse the grain bag with another 2qts of water. Not sure what temp it should be exactly. So I am going to end up with 1 gal of wort of my minimash. I am going to add another 4.5 gal of water to this along with 4lbs LME, 2LBS DME, and 1lb of Candi Sugar then boil as usual.

I only have a 24qt pot so can't go much larger. I was also going to use another 1 gal jar, sanitize it and do a starter with some DME and my wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast 24h before I am going to brew.

Does everything with my method seem on par sans my lack of knowledge of specific mash temps?

1/2 gallon mash water, heated to 165F (60F grain temp) for 152F mash.
1/2 gallon sparge water, heated to 168F (hot grains in the bag will cool it down a little, but the goal isn't to heat the grains over 170F).
You'll collect about 3/4 gallon from the mash and sparge.

The strike temperature is sensitive to the grain temperature before adding. Here's a few more grain temps and strike temps for 1.5 lb of grain in 1/2 gallons of water for a 152F mash:

50F, 167F Strike
60F, 165F Strike
70F, 164F Strike
80F, 162F Strike

ProMash has been very accurate for strike temperature, but the smallest mash I've used it for is 5 lbs.

Back