Mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derbycitybrewer

Reaction score
So the ol plastic mash paddle is getting old and tired of it bending from the heat. So I'm gonna build my own. Anyone know the best types of wood to use for this? I've heard hardwood and also hear some have bad oils. What do you'll recommend? I need help on my design also and ideas. Thx. Cheers.

I used maple. It is hard, dry and easy to work with from a wood working perspective. Don't need to oil it at all.

I would use maple if I had it, because it's hard and has a very closed grain. I have some oak that I will fashion into a paddle at some point. Even though the grain is open, oak is very resistant to moisture and shouldn't lend it's flavor much due to limited contact time. There are many choices. I'd have a look at some google searches for wood types and uses. Anything that makes a good cutting board, oak, maple, walnut, etc. would be suitable.

And I also agree that with the right wood you do not have to finish it. Just use it, rinse it, and dry it.

I made one out of maple too. I didn't treat it with anything... just sanded it smooth. It works great! :mug:

Back