Mash Out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumper1019

Reaction score
My first all grain batch after several extract batches. I chose a citra pale ale which is a favorite of mine. After a few videos of the all grain process I chose to do a mash out. The recipe didn't state I needed one but being new I was unsure. My mash cooler is 7 gallon and for a 5 gallon batch I couldn't add enough boiling water to get to 170. So I let it rest for 15 minutes and proceeded. All other steps were as usuall with my extract batches.

Anyway after fermentation and bottling I have a citra pale ale with an off flavor I cant pinpoint. Should I have skipped the mash out, or is there a better way to reach my mash out temp?

Thanks, Bob

The mash out basically just locks in the fermentability of your wort by denaturing the enzymes in the mash. In layman's terms, it basically just forces the mash to stop extracting sugar from the grains.

From a flavor standpoint, it shouldn't really produce any "off flavors". Then only real concern for producing off flavors during sparging are if your pH raises too high and you extract tannins from the grains (mouth-puckering, like sucking on a tea bag). Honestly, though, this typically only happens with extremely soft water and extremely pale beer styles as far as I'm aware....I wouldn't be concerned with it.

What does the off-flavor make you think of? There are LOTS of possibilities for off flavors, but I don't think the mash-out step contributed to it.

Pretty sure the smarter guys are going to ask for more info, I just wanna follow along. How much liquid did you mash/sparge with? What temperature did you ferment at? How long has it been in bottles? Betcha the really good ole guys would want a recipe/process too.

Congrats on your first all-grain batch btw. Mine was horrible, a crappy watery wheat at 2%...it's all gravy from here on out.

What type of sparging are you doing. If you are batch sparging you will get the wort to boiling relatively quickly so a mashout is not really necessary. If you are fly sparging the process takes up to an hour so a mashout is advisable.

But, you should not get any off flavors by doing, or not doing a mashout. Any change in flavor due to a mashout should be very slight.

Agreed that more info would be needed to zero in on the problem.

http://homebrewacademy.com/citra-pale-ale/

I attached a link to the recipe I chose. Went with the 1 1/4 quarts per pound of grain for my mash. Mash Temps were within a couple degrees at start didn't take another reading until adding for mash out. After adding boiling water for mash out i stirred and took a temp around 165. I did fly sparge.

Added my 1 liter yeast starter and fermented at 68 degrees in a freezer with an stc 1000. For secondary I dry hopped right on top of my primary which was also a first, I usually transfer to secondary.

My OG was within a couple points but broke my hydrometer on bottling day so no FG readings.

Sorry no ph readings on the water. I live in the country and use my well water with no issues up till now.

I just picked up a brewing log and will be keeping all my numbers on paper in case this happens again.

Pretty sure the smarter guys are going to ask for more info, I just wanna follow along.

http://homebrewacademy.com/citra-pale-ale/

I attached a link to the recipe I chose. Went with the 1 1/4 quarts per pound of grain for my mash. Mash Temps were within a couple degrees at start didn't take another reading until adding for mash out. After adding boiling water for mash out i stirred and took a temp around 165. I did fly sparge.

Added my 1 liter yeast starter and fermented at 68 degrees in a freezer with an stc 1000. For secondary I dry hopped right on top of my primary which was also a first, I usually transfer to secondary.

My OG was within a couple points but broke my hydrometer on bottling day so no FG readings.

Sorry no ph readings on the water. I live in the country and use my well water with no issues up till now.

I just picked up a brewing log and will be keeping all my numbers on paper in case this happens again.

Back