Mash Extraction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starseed

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a poor extraction rate , I make 20 litre batches using 4.5 kg of grain , the grind is 50/50 husk /powder, I step mash for 2 hours , 148/ 150/152 C. this should produce a 5% potential . but it only makes 3,6%

I have brewed for 5 years , this is a recent problem , so what,s wrong Pete

148/ 150/152 C.

???

Here are some ways to improve mash efficiency. One or more of them may apply to your situation, depending on your equipment/process:

•Crush Grains Finer
•Reduce Mash Tun dead space (redesign tun)
•Reduce or eliminate pump/hose losses.
•Batch Sparge instead of “No” Sparge
•Fly Sparge instead of Batch Sparge
•Use more total water, thus leaving “thinner” losses. But note that a longer boil would be required.
•Control Mash pH

If you describe your equipment and process in more detail, people can make more specific recommendations.

???

Here are some ways to improve mash efficiency. One or more of them may apply to your situation, depending on your equipment/process:

•Crush Grains Finer
•Reduce Mash Tun dead space (redesign tun)
•Reduce or eliminate pump/hose losses.
•Batch Sparge instead of “No” Sparge
•Fly Sparge instead of Batch Sparge
•Use more total water, thus leaving “thinner” losses. But note that a longer boil would be required.
•Control Mash pH

If you describe your equipment and process in more detail, people can make more specific recommendations.
its a step mash , different temps

The bin of "Extract dropped but I didn't change anything" possible explanations - especially for a persistent impact - is not deep.
  • grain mill gap slipped
  • mash thermometer lost calibration
I got nothing beyond those...

Cheers!

Hi Guys I have a poor extraction rate , I make 20 litre batches using 4.5 kg of grain , the grind is 50/50 husk /powder, I step mash for 2 hours , 148/ 150/152 C. this should produce a 5% potential . but it only makes 3,6%

I have brewed for 5 years , this is a recent problem , so what,s wrong Pete

If your mash really is 148 to 152 *C* (centigrade or Celsius ) that will be WAY too hot and will wipe out
the enzymes that convert the starch to sugar.

If your mash really is 148 to 152 *C* (centigrade or Celsius ) that will be WAY too hot and will wipe out
the enzymes that convert the starch to sugar.
Can't get it that hot unless you have it in a pressure vessel.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back