Mash Conversion Efficiency - Taking a sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
I want to start taking a reading of my mash to see if it converted based on the following mash conversation efficiency write up: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency#Measuring_conversion_efficiency and also to check my mash pH.

I am using a infusion mash with a false bottom and normally mash in and leave it alone for an hour.

I figure there are two main ways to take the reading.

1) Pull it out of ball valve and use same wort to check pH and SG for conversion without disturbing the mash.

2) Open top and stir it up and take a sample from above.

Option 1 is obviously easier and I do not let the heat out of the mash but I am unsure if this will be accurate or if different parts of the mash will have different readings. Does the SG and pH naturally equalize throughout during the mash?

Thanks in advance for the input,
Jeff

Without mixing your mesurements wont be uniform. Same as with the temperature, there will be pockets with more or less sugar. I only take samples after stirring the mash.

Back