Mash and Underlet Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I have a 15.5 gal mash keggle (3 keggle, 2 pump system) with .69 gal underlet volume (beneath the false bottom). I heat my mash water to strike temp and dough in the grain which of course will be in the water above the false bottom. I only recirc the mash water if I have to raise temp. I'm trying to get my head around how to handle the underlet volume in my calcs such as mash thickness, or whether I should just ignore it. I do a mash out while circulating the water, and then a fly sparge. Would appreciate any thoughts here.

You need to include it somewhere, may as well be in the mash volume, just be aware your mash thickness is a little higher than actual, no big deal.

I would also suggest sending that water through the grain at least for a short period at the end of the mash to maximize extraction, otherwise you may have weaker runnings under the false bottom that were not intimate with the mash.

Back