mash and sparge different water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
when planning my water profile for mash and sparge should both be pretty much the same as far as the Ca, mg, Na etc. I have seen where some I have done the sparge if different from my mash profile. I am not talking about the salts added but the overall final profiles for each. I understand that both depend on what salts are added but sometimes i find that there are less added to the sparge final.
Using beer smith .

another question: why do profiles like brun water only show one profile why not show the mash and sparge profile. I don't know my sparge water profile from using brun water. Is this just the overall water?

another question: why do profiles like brun water only show one profile why not show the mash and sparge profile. I don't know my sparge water profile from using brun water. Is this just the overall water?

I assume so. The only time you need to have different water sources for the mash and sparge is when you are making a dark beer (as an example) and are needing to add baking soda or other alkali to the mash water. You never want to add alkalinity to sparge water.

I just gather all my water and dose it all at once.

The only reason I can think of to have different profiles is so more salts are added to the mash to help lower the pH.

I use Bru N Water and there are times my sparge and mash water are treated differently. I just follow the instructions and it always works out .

I also use Bru'n Water, and I prepare my strike and sparge liquor separately, as I heat the strike volume in my bk prior to underletting the grain in the mlt, and at the same time heat my sparge liquor in the hlt.

There are multiple reasons: primarily, two burners make heating the total brew day water needs quicker. But beyond that, the strike volume temperature is almost always a good 10°F higher than what I'll run the hlt bath at, so I avoid wasting the energy (and taking the time) to bring the sparge liquor to the strike temperature just to shed all that heat (and taking more time) before recirculation starts.

Bru'n Water handles the salts and acid additions separately quite nicely imo, and from all appearances, with the exception of the acid addition for the strike volume vs the sparge liquor volume (the latter barely gets a half milliliter) the profiles are identical...

Cheers!

Back