Marshmallow Fluff in Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCAg2002

Reaction score
I’ve searched and searched these forums about how to use marshmallows in beer. I have a s’mores stout that I’m going to brew up, and the consensus is if you but marshmallows in the boil, they essentially ferment out and you get nothing. Plus there is the risk of gumming up my counter flow chiller. No thanks.

My idea is to add the fluff in a keg and since it stays cold, the yeast won’t eat it. If I do that, will the fluff dissolve in the finished beer or will it gum up my beer lines?

Honestly, I’m leaning towards just using 3 vanilla beans after fermentation and getting the marshmallow flavor without fluff. Thoughts?

Try marshmallow root. Either make a decoction or extract, or toss them straight into the keg. I don't have a recommended dosage for using so the extract/de option would probably be a good idea so that you can add a little at a time until you get the amount that you like

I'd head for the beans. I think the fluff will be sugar and will totally get eaten up by the yeast. Beer may end up dry too, opposite of what you'd want. Another thing is you didn't mention toasting the fluff, without it I don't think you'd at all get what you want.

I'd search for smores or s'mores both here on the forum and see if you get more results. I thought there'd been some conversations that were informative. Haha I remember thinking - forget it - but you may be more ambitious. Between marshmallow, graham, and chocolate it'll be hard to get what you want. Always worth a shot but don't get your hopes too high.

Thanks, all! I’m not a huge fan of extracts, so I may forgo it and try to achieve the same flavors more naturally. I’m using lactose in the boil and I’m going to make a tincture of cocoa nibs and vanilla beans for the keg. I’m hoping that the vanilla gives the beer the marshmallow flavor.

I’m also going to use about 2 lbs of graham crackers in the mash.

Another consideration - figure out what makes graham crackers taste like graham crackers and see if you can go for the source. Maybe avoid adding what could be 1.75 lbs of useless white flour by skipping to the main ingredients? Although I think you'll find that it's honey and brown sugar, and to be honest that'll probably ferment out anyhow. But you might get some of it left behind...

will the fluff dissolve in the finished beer or will it gum up my beer lines?
No it won't dissolve. Yes it will gum up your lines. I put 3 pounds ( actual marshmallow ) in a 5 gallon batch and barrrrrley got a hint of marshmallow out of it. I put water in a pot and slow cooked them down into a syrup then added the syrup to the fermenter. I took for ever to get them to dissolve into solution in a close to boiling hot pot so cold I'd say no way will it dissolve.

Marshmallow contains gelatin, Flocculation?? If your looking for that flavor profile I would suggest a medium to dark candi sugar syrup and a small amount of vanilla. Try mixing up a small test sample in some distilled water so you can dial it in.

Another thing, make it without. When enjoying, toast a marshmallow and dip it in. You won't regret it.

If you want something natural, look into meadowfoam honey, made in the pacific northwest. I didn't know it existed until a I had a pint of Two Towns "The Bad Apple" Imperial Cider which uses it and which has a distinct marshmallow aroma. I wondered how they did that so looked up the ingredients, saw this honey on the list and bought a small bottle. It has a marshmallow smell that it almost overpowering.

Back