marrow wiskey/rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen zucchini/marrow wine recipes before. Never tried one.

Post the recipe for this whiskey/rum thing - I'd love to see it!

4 lb ripe marrow
3 lb demerara sugar
1/2 lb raisins
juice of 1 lemon
G.P wine yeast
yeats nutrient
1 gallon cold water

Take the marrow remove ith and seeds but do not peel. cut into small pieces and put in a saucepan with raisens and water. bring to the boil and simmer until the marrow is tender. add more water if it evaporates to much. put the sugar in a fermenting bucket and strain liquid into it ad the lemon juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved. when luke warm stir in yeast and yeast nutrient. cover bucket and leave for 4 days, stiring daily. strain itto firmentation jar. feed with sugar every 2 to 3 weeks. after about 6 weeks you may find a thick sediment at the bottom of the jar. strain this off and add some more sugar to the jar. keep a spare bottle to bring the wine to the top of the jar again. ready in 6 months but much better if you keep it for longer.

thats all it says, not sure wot the last couple of lines about keepin a spar bottle n that, but hey.

Yep, sounds like every other zucchini/marrow wine i've seen really.

All sounds ok apart from these bits in the recipe -
terrance123 said:
feed with sugar every 2 to 3 weeks.
I'd add all the sugar from the start - Dry wine yeasts can cope
after about 6 weeks you may find a thick sediment at the bottom of the jar. strain this off
Never strain it - siphon it off leaving the sediment intact behind.
keep a spare bottle to bring the wine to the top of the jar again.
That's just a reference to just topping up the wine after you rack it - just make a slightly larger batch to begin with in the fermenting bucket and don't rack to glass until the initial yeast activitity drops.
ready in 6 months but much better if you keep it for longer.
Give it a year if you can - all 'country' wines like this need time to age out the harshness.

thanx for the advice just to note about the sugar. in the recipie it says to add all of the sugar and then just add some more seperatly to feed it, i dont kno if you had realised this or its just me being thick. thanx again oh and is it ok to expose the brew to air after you have put on the airlock, just to taste and feed it if needed

El Pistolero said:
It's that stuff in the middle of bones...I really don't think it sounds very good. ;)

More importantly, where/how does one aquire 4 pounds of it!? :)

-walker

After all the 'cocks', 'bone' and 'it's a squash' references are there any gay jokes left for cheesefood? You have no respect..... He'll be crying in to his 'sham' marriage now wondering where he goes next! :D

terrance123 said:
thanx for the advice just to note about the sugar. in the recipie it says to add all of the sugar and then just add some more seperatly to feed it, i dont kno if you had realised this or its just me being thick. thanx again oh and is it ok to expose the brew to air after you have put on the airlock, just to taste and feed it if needed
Forget 'feeding' it. It's not a pet! :D Put the 3lb of sugar in at the start and let it ferment out. Exposing the surface of the brew to air occasionally for racking is part and parcel of brewing, just don't allow your brew to be sloshed about/bubbled and have too much oxygen get to it when it's been under an airlock.

Forget tasting it until you are near to bottling it, it'll taste crap - six months aging at least the recipe said.

Now how do you plan to bottle it for at least six months?

what does a marrow squash look like? Is it only in the UK? Is there any thing else it is useful for? Why the hell would someone make wine out of squash?

AHammer16 said:
what does a marrow squash look like?
this is a marrow if the pic comes out ok, dunno if u only get them in the uk
wsut170113s.jpg

terrance123 said:
you only bottle it after the 6 months in the fermenting jar then you leave it to age in the bottles.
I guessed that old boy! It'll need glass bottles (not plastic PET bottles) to age without deterioration - corking is the sensible option. What had you planned?

Re-using wine bottles is perfect (check them for chips/cracks/flaws of course) but use brand new corks (and the string trick!) which you've sterilised. You've found that Wilkinsons do them - but if you struggle Morrisons Supermarkets do corks, your local HBS will do both and cheap corkers can be found on ebay.

Back