Marris Otter/Cascade SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks, this is one of my first recipes that i'm doing mostly in the dark so to speak in that its not based on a proven recipe - that i know of.

5 gallon batch - eff ~75% with my system

9# MO
1 oz of cascade @ 60min / 20min / FO

OG 1.051
50IBU

Notty yeast.

Thoughts? This will be my highest IBU to date and i really like cascade.

Looks good to me. The nice thing about SMaSH's is that they allow you to learn the individual traits of hops and malts, so when you go to formulate a recipe with different malts and hops you will know what works together and what doesnt. The MO will give this a nice bisquity malt backbone that will not be too dominant due to the spiceyness of the cascade. Only thing I would recommend is dropping another oz of the cascade in to dry hop. That way you get the full hop flavor. That will make it a nice hoppy APA. Ive never used Nottingham yeast so I cant comment on that though

Looks good to me. The nice thing about SMaSH's is that they allow you to learn the individual traits of hops and malts, so when you go to formulate a recipe with different malts and hops you will know what works together and what doesnt. The MO will give this a nice bisquity malt backbone that will not be too dominant due to the spiceyness of the cascade. Only thing I would recommend is dropping another oz of the cascade in to dry hop. That way you get the full hop flavor. That will make it a nice hoppy APA. Ive never used Nottingham yeast so I cant comment on that though

Thanks, yeah i love MO - its the base malt of a local craft beer that led me to all grain brewing. I'm going to do another SMaSH with EKG actually. I have a Vienna/NB SMaSH via "deathbrewer" in the carboy now that i can't wait to try.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle :)

Very similar to a MO/Citra SMaSH I did recently that turned out very nicely. I second what @kev211 said about doing a dry hop though.

I agree with the other guys, looks good especially if you add a dry hop. MO SMaSH's and SMaTH's (two hops) with classic American hops are some of my favorite go-to beers to have around. I usually do something like 1.050, 40ish IBU, with an oz of hops at 10, 0, dry hop. I've done cascade and centennial SMaSH's, simcoe/cascade and "simarillo" SMaTHs. All yum. Notty should be fine, I use whatever neutral yeast I have around (chico, notty, pacman).

Very similar to a MO/Citra SMaSH I did recently that turned out very nicely. I second what @kev211 said about doing a dry hop though.

I have just 3oz to work with, its already ordered. What do you think of 0.5oz @ FO and 0.5oz dry hop? I never dry hopped before - probably not worth it with a small amount..

Maybe skip the FO hops? Ive never done that so it could work haha! You lose a lot of the flavor from the FO hops during the fermentation process anyways, so if I were you and had no other way of getting another oz of hops I might try that

Do you have a LHBS nearby? Or even a brewery? Sometimes the smaller breweries are super chill and will hook you up if you explain your predicament. I know I would let someone bum an oz of hops off me if they needed it. Buy a pint, get an oz :D

Maybe skip the FO hops? Ive never done that so it could work haha! You lose a lot of the flavor from the FO hops during the fermentation process anyways, so if I were you and had no other way of getting another oz of hops I might try that

Thanks i think i will do:

1oz @60min
0.5oz @20min
0.5oz @ FO
1oz dry hop

40 IBU

Thanks guys!

Or you could throw something else in at 60 if you have any other hops and keep the full 3 oz for finishing. I know it's not technically a SMaSH but should pretty much taste the same, especially if you have something relatively neutral to bitter with. Either way looks good.

Or you could throw something else in at 60 if you have any other hops and keep the full 3 oz for finishing. I know it's not technically a SMaSH but should pretty much taste the same, especially if you have something relatively neutral to bitter with. Either way looks good.

How do you folks dry hop anyhow? I've been reading about it for 30min or so.. :)

I'm thinking of just putting the pellets in the primary for 5 days or so before i bottle. If i see lots of hop debris i can cold crash at near freezing. My water jug always has ice in it. :D

I'm thinking of just putting the pellets in the primary for 5 days or so before i bottle. If i see lots of hop debris i can cold crash at near freezing. My water jug always has ice in it. :D

That's exactly what I do the great majority of the time.
:mug:

How do you folks dry hop anyhow? I've been reading about it for 30min or so.. :)

Basically as you just said. Pop the top of the carboy (or bucket/whatever you use), dump the hops right in. Let em swim around for 5 or so days and then, what I do is keg straight away. I dont cold crash, since Im basically cold crashing in the keg and most of the hop particles fall out of suspension without cold crashing anyways. But if you bottle, or if you just like cold crashing, then do that.

A lot of people will tell you, put them in a hop bag and toss it in for less debris, but IMO a hop bag is just another potential point of infection

I'm only a year into brewing and did my first dry hop a week ago. I sprayed starsan on my scissors/hop packet and just tossed the pellets in primary 4 days before bottling. I had debris when bottling so I sort of wish I had cold crashed or covered my siphon with mesh bag. I figure stuff will drop out when I chill bottles so no worries.

in January i did a MO/Cascade SMaSH

1.044SG and 36IBU with S-05 (60m, 15m, and 5m additions). The feedback that I got was that it was good, but pretty mellow - almost too mellow. If I were to re-brew it I would up my 5 minute addition, add a flame out and maybe dry hop it, would probably up MO so I could hit 1.05

in January i did a MO/Cascade SMaSH

1.044SG and 36IBU with S-05 (60m, 15m, and 5m additions). The feedback that I got was that it was good, but pretty mellow - almost too mellow. If I were to re-brew it I would up my 5 minute addition, add a flame out and maybe dry hop it, would probably up MO so I could hit 1.05

Thanks, i will be brewing this in a few days. I will be dry hopping and the fg should be around 1.050. I rarely go below 1.050. Not a fan of weak beer.

Back