Marriage... Learning from the Master

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
No... not me... my father-in-law. He has been married longer than I have been alive and met his wife (his first and only wife mind you) when he was in the second grade.

Cut to this weekend when he and I escaped a house full of women preparing for the Oscars to go to Weak Knee Brewshop (thanks yet again Bill at Weak Knee). As I'm getting ringed up I see him pick up a 3 gallon Better Bottle and take out his wallet. "Your birthday is coming up and I never know what to get you" he says. Awesome, thanks Dad. Problem is the wife and I have a constant discussion about brew supplies and space. Her feeling is that our apartment cannot support a carboy without looking like a laboratory. I mention this. I am battling excitement against nervousness.

"James... here's what we are going to do. I am going to put this in the back of your car in a black bag. You arent going to tell her anything about it until you are on the Turnpike back. Tell her its my fault, and I'll back you up.

And thats what I did. What did my wife do? She laughed. "Oh man you two are an evil cabal!" When we got home she took a look at it. "Yeah thats a lot more reasonable a size than I thought. Lets turn the hall closet into your brew space. You could fit 2 or 3 of those in there even."

What What What??

And then she picked up some paint so we can design a designated brew closet this weekend.

I am stunned.

Im totally going to watch this man's moves a lot more often. :rockin:

Nicely done Creamy!

So begins the long and enjoyable slippery slide to a full scale home brewery and kegerator. Your wife has opened the door and now is your opportunity, nay your responsibility!, to continue to push the limits. My suggestion is to start small and after a few years, wonder aloud how and when you accumulated all your equipment.

In all seriousness though if you can make stuff that your wife will drink or even likes, it makes it much easier to expand the operation. Spend some time in the beginners forum or you will face the shame of an abeertion.

I'm getting married in May and came into this thread looking for some serious Creamy Jedi tricks to make a marriage successful! Bummer haha

I'm getting married in May and came into this thread looking for some serious Creamy Jedi tricks to make a marriage successful! Bummer haha

He left the end of the title intentionally open ended so you can fill in the blanks.

The answers you seek to a successful marriage require you to unlock the "bay door".

My FIL's marriage advice is snoring followed by odd accents.

Your FIL sounds great.

My FIL's marriage advice is snoring followed by odd accents.

Your FIL sounds great.

He really is. While he has expressly said that he is not interested in brewing for himself, he asked lots of questions about the stuff in the store, and the process, and what I like about it. Its as if he isnt interested in the hobby but he is interested in people's interest in the hobby, if that makes sense.

CreamyGoodness said:
He really is. While he has expressly said that he is not interested in brewing for himself, he asked lots of questions about the stuff in the store, and the process, and what I like about it. Its as if he isnt interested in the hobby but he is interested in people's interest in the hobby, if that makes sense.

Your FIL sounds like a very interesting guy who is engaged enough to be curious about things. Probably a great conversationalist.

You are more likely to be successful in begging forgiveness than in asking permission.

This is only true part of the time. In reality:

"Sometimes, it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission."

-Original Quote from my wife's Dr. when he snuck out of a house full of family on Christmas morning to come to the hospital and circumcise my son so we could go home when his wife had forbade it.

In all seriousness though if you can make stuff that your wife will drink or even likes, it makes it much easier to expand the operation.

Bingo... once my wife drank good home brew she rarely drinks even the better craft brews, and she is usually the one pushing for more beers to be brewed. We just bottled 14 gal and kegged 15 gal and she is still talking about the next brew day. Every once in a while she brings up how much fun it would be to open a small brew pub... it's then that I have to remind her what the retire in retirement means...

Back