Maris Otter vs Briess 2-Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
OK, I know this general question has been asked and covered already. I know the basic differences between American 2-Row and Maris Otter.

My question is this though. I can get Munton's Maris Otter for $40 a sack and Briess 2-row for $35 a sack.

The question .... is it worth the $5 savings??

Where are you shopping??? Those are some good prices....for that price buy a bag of each :)

For those prices I would buy a bag of each. From my understanding they are used for different styles but mostly interchangeable.

It depends what you are brewing. If you want to brew English Ales or maltier American styles the Maris Otter is the perfect choice. If you brew mostly hoppy stuff, or beers with loads of specialty malts (big stouts etc…) the American stuff will make just as good if not better beers. I tend to keep sacks of each around along with a sack of pils, it doesn’t take many batches to go through a sack.

Back