Maris Otter / US 2-row / Honey Malt recipe help ----

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey-BB

Reaction score
What's up everyone---
I have the ingredients how does this recipe sound????
I also have S-05, or two wyeast 1056 packs or two giga yeast VERMONT ipa packs what yeast do you think would be best---
I'm making 10 gallons so I don't want to mess up if possible.
Thanks!
I also have Vienna----
Just trying to brew something without spending any money or going to the store-----

image.jpg

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the Honey malt. Seems like an awful lot to me - even in 10 gallons. I use 2-4 ounces in a few beers (6.5 gallons) and I can get flavor out of it. I would be scared that 6% would make it really sweet and overpowering.

The only thing that really jumps out at me is the Honey malt. Seems like an awful lot to me - even in 10 gallons. I use 2-4 ounces in a few beers (6.5 gallons) and I can get flavor out of it. I would be scared that 6% would make it really sweet and overpowering.

Yeah maybe cut it to 1 lb or less--
Thanks buddy

I would split into 2 beers. You could brew an American bitter with one and then an IPA with the rest.

Bitter would be about 9-10 lbs of Maris and half pound honey malt. .75 - 1 oz of hops.

The rest could go into an IPA with a lower mash temp to help dry it out some.

here's my input....i brewed a beer with the exact same grains for a Christmas party.
58% - MO
31% - 2 row
11% - honey malt

I CAN NOT DETECT HONEY AT ALL!

I also used 1056

the hops were a farmhouse blend.

the beer is good and smooth, I like it a lot but I really wanted some honey flavoring. That said, it was tasted out of the fermenter going into a keg (only 2 weeks old) and carbbed with a carbonator cap. That was 2 weeks ago. I don't know anything about honey malt, perhaps it will age in??? If you aren't in a super hurry, I can let you know how it was on saturday

here's my input....i brewed a beer with the exact same grains for a Christmas party.
58% - MO
31% - 2 row
11% - honey malt

I CAN NOT DETECT HONEY AT ALL!

I also used 1056

the hops were a farmhouse blend.

the beer is good and smooth, I like it a lot but I really wanted some honey flavoring. That said, it was tasted out of the fermenter going into a keg (only 2 weeks old) and carbbed with a carbonator cap. That was 2 weeks ago. I don't know anything about honey malt, perhaps it will age in??? If you aren't in a super hurry, I can let you know how it was on saturday

Thanks--
That sounds perfect!

If it were my beer I would move the 15 min. to 20 min. and move the 30 min. to dryhop.
The high amount honey malt might actually be good with Amarillo hops, IMO, especially since you aren't including any other crystal/caramel malts.

Thanks--
That sounds perfect!

so my beer was the epitome of mediocrity (which is mostly what I was going for with so many BMC drinkers around). I kept the abv very low (3%) and the IBU's were around 30. The beer was fine but I am still puzzled at the absolute lack of honey flavor. I had read that 10% was the max you would want and I took it to 11 and got 0 flavor. And it certainly wasn't the ABV or the IBU's masking it. The best thing from that beer was the toasty goodness of the MO.
I made this beer as a starter for a DIPA, next time I'll drop the honey and up the IBU to about 60.
If you continue with your recipe, I'd like to know how it turned out for you.

I have never gotten "honey" flavor out of honey malt - I get just kind of a sweet flavor. If I use a lot - I get a sharp, cloying sweet flavor. Personally, I think the name is rather deceiving.

Really, about the only place I tend to use it is when I make a Scottish 60 or 70. I find it is a good way to put some underlying sweet malt flavor into a really low alcohol beer.

so my beer was the epitome of mediocrity (which is mostly what I was going for with so many BMC drinkers around). I kept the abv very low (3%) and the IBU's were around 30. The beer was fine but I am still puzzled at the absolute lack of honey flavor. I had read that 10% was the max you would want and I took it to 11 and got 0 flavor. And it certainly wasn't the ABV or the IBU's masking it. The best thing from that beer was the toasty goodness of the MO.
I made this beer as a starter for a DIPA, next time I'll drop the honey and up the IBU to about 60.
If you continue with your recipe, I'd like to know how it turned out for you.

Thanks--
I brewed it Tuesday night it smelled absolutely amazing. I previously did a smash with just 2-row and Amirallo and it was really good. I think this batch might come out even better.
I'll let you know--the. OG came out at 1.070 and the two yeast packs of 1056 went rigjt to work!
Once again I can't wait. !

The yeast was really happy!

image.jpg

Back