Maris Otter in an IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soup67

Reaction score
Anyone with experience using 100% MO in an IIPA? Plan is to use a little Munich and C60 as well and hop it up to 80ish IBUs with Simcoe/Centennial/Cascade.

Any thoughts?

I'm a fan of MO in IPAs. Never done a IIPA, but this recipe is a great 7.5% IPA with MO base.

Nothing against BierMuncher, but I'm absolutely not a fan of that recipe.

As for the OP's question. Yes MO would make a good base malt for an IIPA. I'd lower the amount of munich you use so the beer isn't too malty.

I'm going to brew a 100% Golden Promise IIPA this weekend.

I'm not adding any specialty grains. I'm shooting for an OG around 1.070. I'm actually going to try a SMASH IIPA with GP and Glacier hops.

I like a drier IIPA, so I think an all base malt IIPA at that OG level should be about right. I think the worst thing you can do with an IIPA is make it cloying.

MO is definitely good in a IIPA. It should go good with munich and c60. Be careful with the c60. It's easy to go overboard on crystal malt.

For a IIPA I'd keep the crystal to 2-3% and use all MO for the rest. The munich really isn't needed since MO is a malt bomb on its own at that high of a gravity.

Happy brewing :mug:

ps. I plan to try this myself since I have some extra MO I want to use up.

Back