Maris otter comparisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover77

Reaction score
I am thinking of trying domestic ESB malt to replace Maris Otter for the next few batches. Specifically Gambrinus ESB as it is way cheaper.

Does anyone have experience using similar domestic malts for their British/malty brews?

Gambrinus would be fine. Golden promise would work also. Or a good pilsner malt. You just don't want a wimpy domestic 2-row that lacks in flavor. I've seen some people mix in a little Vienna with cheaper domestic.

I’ve been brewing with both the Gambrinus ESB and MO for the last few years. I think the ESB is a great malt but not a clone of MO. While I mostly use the two interchangeably, there are a few recipes where I will spring for the MO because it is just the right flavour. Otherwise, safe some cash, brew with Gambrinus and kick the malts up a notch with some Vienna or Munich when needed.

I’ve been brewing with both the Gambrinus ESB and MO for the last few years. I think the ESB is a great malt but not a clone of MO. While I mostly use the two interchangeably, there are a few recipes where I will spring for the MO because it is just the right flavour. Otherwise, safe some cash, brew with Gambrinus and kick the malts up a notch with some Vienna or Munich when needed.
+1 to this. It's exactly what I do.

If you ever happen to drive through Armstrong BC a 25kg bag of the Gambrinus ESB malt is $25....hard to beat. Super nice people too.

Look what arrived!

m1.jpg

Latest posts

Back