March Pump vs Garden Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spintab

Reaction score
Can anyone with a march pump compare it's flow with that of their garden hose? I have a tiny pond pump that I picked up a while back to pump ice water through my chiller for the last few degrees but I'd like to upgrade. I was thinking of just getting a march or chugger pump so that it could ultimately have hot wort run through it. They are so expensive though, I could get a larger pond pump with similar specs for half the cost. I'm curious though how the 7 or so GMP flow compares to the average garden hose. Obviously everyone's hose flows a little different so let's keep the "average" term going. My main purpose at this point for any pump is to pump ice water through and immersion chiller.

You won't find a food grade "pond pump" at Lowe's and all of them I believe must be submersed in the pond. The other problem is can they handle the temperature of boiling wort?

Pond pumps are great for recirculating ice water through a chiller, but that's about it. You can get much higher GPM (they are rated in GPH though) and it will cost more.

Right, that's my point. I could get a march or chugger to have the food grade/high temperature capability but for half the price I could get the same flow from a pond pump to just service the chiller. My process doesn't require pumping wort right now. I fill my mash tun with ice and water, and stick the pump in that.

I have the March 815, I've never used a pond pump, but I can only imagine the march would pump faster. Personally, of you have the funds, I would buy a march or chugger pump. If you're like me at all, you will eventually get obsessed with the idea of an upgraded brew system that a food grade pump would greatly benefit you. The idea of being able to move boiling liquids around without burning yourself is great! I don't see a reason not to get one!

Ah man, I thought you got the pump to fight the garden hose...

Look on ebay or CL for a sump pump for cheep. the faster the flow of cool water through the immersion chiller the better. If you do decide to get a march or chugger pump too. then you can incorporate the High temp pump to recirculate the hot wort in the kettle to make a whirlpool chiller. This will speed up your chilling times quite a bit.

It will depend on the pressure you require through your system. Do a crude test and time filling a 5 gallon bucket. That's what i did at home and i got 5gpm. The difference will be in the pressure you have available at home. In my case I'm at around 35-40psi when its closed...and it obviously drops when you open the valve and call for water. It will also depend on how close to the transfer station you are and what time of day it is.....during peak hours you will get the lowest flow/psi. and in the dead of night will be the highest. We have seen rages any where from 30-80psi... The 809's don't generate much in terms of Psi...they max out at @ 5psi. Its all about volume with the least restriction placed on them. Hope that helps. :)

Walter,

Assuming Restriction (to flow) = back pressure.

So it you have 5 PSI of back pressure from tubing size, small ID fittings, kinks, etc., then would it be reasonable to conclude flow will drop to a trickle (i.e. near zero)?

Bsquared said:
the faster the flow of cool water through the immersion chiller the better.

Why is faster better? It's been my experience that when I slow down the flow, the water coming out of the chiller gets hotter. This indicates, to me at least, that there is better thermal exchange for the volume of water going through. Simply, hotter water out = less heat in wort. Is this incorrect?

Why is faster better? It's been my experience that when I slow down the flow, the water coming out of the chiller gets hotter. This indicates, to me at least, that there is better thermal exchange for the volume of water going through. Simply, hotter water out = less heat in wort. Is this incorrect?

Yes it is a little counter intuitive, but think of it this way. Your Immersion chiller its self not the water is what does the cooling of the wort, and the water cools the immersion chiller.And because it is what is in direct contact with the wort you want to keep the immersion chiller as cold as posable. If you water is coming out hot then part of your immersion chiller is hot too, so it will not be as effective as the cooler part .If the water coming out is cool than your chiller is cool to. The most important factor though when using an immersion chiller is getting the wort moving across the chiller.

There was a good article in zymurgy about it a few months back. Ill see if I can find it.

Back