March Pump Mounting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I just bought this pump, but am not sure how to mount it. Intake pointing up or intake and outlet parallel to the ground?

MarchPump.png

I prefer to mount the body parallel to the ground with the intake pointing down.

_

It does for me. Never a priming issue, assuming you mount them below the kettle level.

_

The reason people mount them with the intake down, is so that any air bubles will rise to the top where the intake is and be removed from the system.

So I recently mounted my pump parallel to the ground but the mounting rack is facing the ceiling which makes the inlet on the right and the outlet on the left.

After reading around I understand the desired method is inlet down and outlet up but that is not an option for me because the cart I have it installed on is very close to the floor and there is not enough clearance to install this way. I have read however that I can take the pump head off and change the orientation perhaps to the intake left and outlet right method? Does anyone have any experience with right to left method vs left to right method?

So I recently mounted my pump parallel to the ground but the mounting rack is facing the ceiling which makes the inlet on the right and the outlet on the left.

After reading around I understand the desired method is inlet down and outlet up but that is not an option for me because the cart I have it installed on is very close to the floor and there is not enough clearance to install this way. I have read however that I can take the pump head off and change the orientation perhaps to the intake left and outlet right method? Does anyone have any experience with right to left method vs left to right method?

It works fine that way... just a tad bit more "issues" with priming. (That I never had btw)

I've since switched to a center inlet head, but not because of priming... more about routing.

Is the center inlet head something you can just buy and attach on or is it another pump all together. A center inlet with outlet up would work on my system... if the price is right...

I have the same pump on my b3 2050. Intake on the bottom, then on the outlet have a "t" that has a ball valve coming out for a bleeder, then on top is a ball valve for the out. Make sure you do not close off any valves on the intake, but you can close off the out as much as you want with no worries.

I got a valve for the output and plan on just hooking up a camlock on that. We'll see how it works, but the tee with another valve sounds like an easy solution for a bleeder if I have problems. Thanks

I strongly suggest you go with the bleeder valve right off the bat to save you some hassle. On my rig, I have to use it every time I first start to pump liquor from my HLT because it is only slightly higher than the pump. It will save you some headaches!

The center inlet will bolt right on to your existing pump no problem. Just make sure you get the same speed pump head as what you have as they have different impellers inside. What i mean is if you have an "HS" model right now, make sure the center inlet pump head is also an "HS". If its just the housing you are buying then its no problem either way as you will be swapping over all your old parts into the new head. :D

-Walter

As far as mounting the pump goes, I hope the following will clear things up for you all :D

The "ideal" way to mount these pump is with the motor mounted horizontal....and the pump head rotated so the outlet faces straight up. If space is an issue then with the pump head also sitting horizontal and you facing the pump head, the inlet will be on the left and the outlet on right. If you look at the pump head in this configuration, you will notice the outlet is ever so slightly tweaked up so its the highest point of exit to ease the air out of the pump head.
Now getting deeper into mounting these things:
you will notice there are 4 Phillips screws holding the pump head on. You can take those out and rotate the pump head/or motor every 90*. So if you were limited on space you could mount the motor upside down under your brew stand and then flip the pump head 180* to get it back to normal position. Or if you wanted to mount the motor on the side of the stand, again you can rotate the pump head back to normal.
A few people always ask about mounting these vertically. The only way to get it to work properly is with the pump head on top of the motor. And first reply from them is "what if I have a leak? It will get all over the motor!" That's true but its the only way to get all the air out of the pump head and not have problems! So if there's anything else I can help with just give me a shout. :D

-Walter

Walter, thanks for summarizing it all in one post for us. I will be rotating my pump head for the inlet left, outlet right until I can get my hands on a center inlet, outlet up pump head.

A picture of my current setup (soon to be corrected): http://imgur.com/a/gl90H#XXkpl

Thanks again!

and now I see an entire thread of Q&A's that you are apart of... ok going over there for any future questions... :)

Walter, thanks for summarizing it all in one post for us. I will be rotating my pump head for the inlet left, outlet right until I can get my hands on a center inlet, outlet up pump head.

A picture of my current setup (soon to be corrected): http://imgur.com/a/gl90H#XXkpl

Thanks again!

and now I see an entire thread of Q&A's that you are apart of... ok going over there for any future questions... :)

Yep, the top half of you pump will always be filled with air...the pump may or may not be able to work it all out trying to move fluid out the bottom left port...if you rotate the head so the outlet is pointing up then the air will naturaly exit the pump head and the beer will flood the pump completely...and you shouldn't have priming problems. :D

-Walter

Latest posts

Back