March pump location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksteck

Reaction score
Just picked up a pump from midwest today and getting ready to brew on sunday, can i have the pump higher than the point for which i'm getting my water from (my kettle) i want to mount it about 2 feet above my kettle.

Nick

I got a pretty damn good idea where you can stick it!!!

lucky bass-tard

BTW... if I'm not mistaken, you have to mount lower than your kettle... they are not self-priming pumps... but that's just my 2 cents worth

Yeah most pumps that are used to pump hot liquids are not self priming...it is probably a magnetic drive pump which needs liquid to operate...so it has to be lower

Mount it lower than the source to avoid headaches. Also, I oriented the intake towards the ground, so air bubbles would flow up through the pump and out through the output and not get stuck inside. Finally, it's a good idea to put a ball valve on the output end of the pump so you can both control the flow AND shut in the liquid to keep your prime.

Ask me how I know?

:cross:

My pump head orientation kicked my butt for a long time. I had the head oriented right to left vice up and down, and I was too stupid to figure out that I had air stuck in the pump head, and too stupid to ask for help.

It also helps if you have some way of breaking air lock after the pump.

I brewed today and finally implimented some quick disconnects. The hose that comes off the pump output will get connected to the input of the CF chiller but I held that hose up, opened my kettle valve and let the pump fill. Then you connect the output. You can also do this in a hard plumbed setup by putting a TEE with a valve on it to open air. Crack the valve when you let liquid into the pump input.

It's easier to push wort than pull it. Put the pump below the lowest point of the rest of the system & buy a little extra tubing.

Has anyone positioned their pump as shown in the "Brewing Metallurgy" article from the BYO issue with the BRUTUS 10 cover? This shows the pumps mounted directly to the bottom spout of the kettles. Looks like an awesome idea, as long as the pump is shielded from the heat. I am thinking of using three pumps in this configuration, one pump mounted on each kettle.

Thoughts.... comments.... anyone with a scanner able to post the pic I am talking about.

nicksteck said:
Just picked up a pump from midwest today and getting ready to brew on sunday, can i have the pump higher than the point for which i'm getting my water from (my kettle) i want to mount it about 2 feet above my kettle.

Nick
You can do that, but because the pump isn't self priming, it could be a bit of a nuiscance, but if you have to, it's not rocket science. You would just have to prime the intake section of the pump.

Sounds like a Pain JR. I think the mounting it bellow's have it. That is my take on it you lucky SOB. S.

first time i used the pump, had to remove my false bottom to get it to work, i have a false bottom that has a hose that goes from the ball valve to a brass 90 degree fitting, any ideas

Nick

If the pump pulls faster than the false bottom allows wort to pass it can cavitate. If you throttle the output of the pump with a ball valve it will then work OK.

Do you mean that you are not getting enough flow through the false bottom? If you are getting flow through it when you mash you should get flow with just water. Say, is the pump collapsing the false bottom? If this is the case you could make a CPVC spacer with holes drilled in it and place it right under the false bottoms outlet to the ball valve. Just an idea.

WBC said:
If the pump pulls faster than the false bottom allows wort to pass it can cavitate. If you throttle the output of the pump with a ball valve it will then work OK.
Junior, this one sounds pretty good too.:rockin:

Back