March Pump: Is this a good one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go to March's website and look up the model and specs. The one that brewers use is the March 809-HS. I don't know what that pump is that you have found. It has three (?) ports on the pump head, and I don't know why.

Yeah I tried, didn't see anything for the full model number or just 959. Yeah the three ports where throwing me off too.

Yup.. March does not make a "959" model, so I don't know what that number is, but it doesn't look like a model number.

I did see that they had pumps with heads that had three connectors, but I only say that on their dual-headed pumps and not single headed ones like pictured here.

I wonder if someone cobbled together a pump. As far as I know, March makes their own motors, but the one you found has a motor that has a sticker saying "Magnatek" on it.

If you are searching around Ebay - check out this seller tescopumps. They ship fast, reasonable priced, have replacement parts, etc.... this example cost a bit more, but it should be more in line what you need....
http://cgi.ebay.com/March-809-PL-low-flow-HOT-WATER-HOME-BREWING-PUMP-/360265078380?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item53e178d66c

There is also a seller named "usapumps" that has the same prices as tesco for the 809's. Tesco is actually worse for me, because it's a North Carolina business and will add on sales tax if I bought one.

edit: actually, usapumps is better overall. They offer free shipping on the 809's.

edit #2: I can't find anything on ebay from usapumps.. might be out of stock (or out of business).

It looks like March OEM'ed this pump for a company. The pump head is not polysulfonate so I doubt the pump is designed to go much more than 160* F in temperature. I would stay away if you want something that functions above boiling temperatures.

Yeah at those prices there is no reason not to just buy new from one of the big online shops. $39 seemed to good to be true. Oh well.

Magnatek is a large company that deals in industrial motors and controls. Among other things they manufacture motors and variable frequency drives under the Electromotive name. They cater heavily to the material handling industry (for instance their G+ series 3 drives come loaded with crane specific software) Can't vouch for the pump head itself but I can tell you if the motor has a Magnatek sticker on it it's probably a quality component. I work on overhead cranes in a Steel Mill and deal with alot of Magnatek's products and have yet to be dissatisfied with any of them.

There is also a seller named "usapumps" that has the same prices as tesco for the 809's. Tesco is actually worse for me, because it's a North Carolina business and will add on sales tax if I bought one.

edit: actually, usapumps is better overall. They offer free shipping on the 809's.

edit #2: I can't find anything on ebay from usapumps.. might be out of stock (or out of business).

I just got an 809 from usapumps last week off of ebay. It was the inline 809-PL-HS with a polysulfone head, pump was food grade and rated to 250F for $114 shipped. I just checked back and the seller has some pumps, but none of the 809s right now, maybe he'll add more later

I'm looking to upgrade my brewery a bit. Getting two or three chuggers is the way to go, but with all the upgrades I plan on getting (eherms) I sure would like to know if these AC-1C-MD's are food grade or not. The temp rating is 100c, good enough for mash recirculation and infusions. The price point I've found makes them a great alternative if they are ok for wort to pass through. According to march these pumps are made to handle light to heavy corrosives, which makes me think it shouldn't leech any.

Whats the verdict pump-heads?

Back