Maple Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylpaul2000

Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone ever tried using maple sap instead of water? I'm going to make a maple wheat in the next week or so and was planning on starting with 9 gallons of sap heating up to mash temp pulling off about 4 gallons for the mash and then reducing the other 5 gallons down to to about 3. After the mash I'm going to add the wort back into the pot of reduced sap and boil/add hops etc... I have been tapping my maple trees and have collected quite a bit of sap, so I have plenty to work with. Any thoughts?

Not to deter you in any way...but Ive tried a beer made by the Great Lakes Brewery where they claimed to use maple sap in place of the water - Its rare that I find a beer that I dont like, but this one ended up having an almost "piney" taste to it - Not sure if thats common amongst beers made this way, but it was something Ive never tasted in any other beer

Back