Maple syrup mead and/or wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woggers

Reaction score
I make meads and beer but a friend makes his own maple syrup. Expense will not be a problem.

Has anybody ever made a maple syrup "mead" or m.s. wine? Any tips, hints, recipes (proven)? I realize that most maple flavor will go away. But will it come back like honey notes do after a mead is aged?

Also, i can/ will have access to the maple sap as well. I was thinking of using this along with the syrup itself.

Hopefully Yooper will chime in. Shes fermented everything i think

I boiled sap this year and planned to try something. FWIW a maple mead is called an Acerglyn (Acer means sugar in latin and hence most maples have Acer in their name. Glyn is common in mean names.)

I accidentally boiled some of the sap too long and it burned on the heating element. The syrup has a decidedly "Toasted Marshmallow" flavor. I bottled that stuff up in some growlers. I planned to add some to a porter or stout. I also wanted to try fermenting it on it's own.

Yooper recommended I try something called a Brochet, which is a burnt honey mead. With burnt maple I'm not sure what it's name should be. Brochegyln?

I think the safest thing to try would be to mix it up and measure the gravity, and then add nutrients and yeast as per any mead. Not sure about the flavor going away. Most people using maple are either using a small amount of syrup, or a lot of sap. Neither of these will add much maple flavor. Using a lot of syrup might, though.

I make meads and beer but a friend makes his own maple syrup. Expense will not be a problem.

Has anybody ever made a maple syrup "mead" or m.s. wine? Any tips, hints, recipes (proven)? I realize that most maple flavor will go away. But will it come back like honey notes do after a mead is aged?

Also, i can/ will have access to the maple sap as well. I was thinking of using this along with the syrup itself.

Hopefully Yooper will chime in. Shes fermented everything i think

I made maple syrup this year.
Made three 4 liter batches of maple wine/mead. Beginning of season, mid season and end season batches.
The Mid season batch I put yeast nutrient in it.
It didn't settle out and clear like the other two batches.
I used 1 liter maple syrup to 3 liters maple sap. Used Campaign yeast.
Just bottled the wine yesterday, now I will let it sit for a year.

HPIM3143.JPG

HPIM3156.jpg

Back