Maple flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on how to get maple flavoring? Maybe with extract in the keg?

the fake stuff is the best way I'd think since maple is so fermentable. I've also read if you get some good homemade really robust syrup and use it as priming sugar it'll give a sweet maple flavor but I've never tried it myself.
i've heard of people using up to 1/2 gallon in a 5 gallon batch to get a good maple profile but I don't think I'd do that with good maple syrup. Aging on maple flavored coffee beans is another one I've heard of people using to get that maple flavor.

I've used maple syrup in every stage of brewing, an it always ferments out without imparting any flavor. One thing people swear by (including Drew Beechum, if you want to tie a "famous" name to it), which i haven't had a chance to use yet, is fenugreek. I couldn't tell you how much to use or when to use it, but fenugreek apparently is the key, as it's actually used to make maple syrup flavoring.

I've had a couple of commercial brews that use fenugreek. It is the closest maple flavor I've ever experienced. It seems like u have to be careful with it's intensity because it can be too strong. I did some reading and it also seems like people are more sensitive to the flavor than others. Something like cilantro. I think I'm sensitive to it because the flavor seemed to linger for me. Not in a bad way but in I kept tasting maple syrup. Interesting herb

Last edited:
I’ve only used maple syrup a couple times both times a hint of aroma was there but no flavor. There is nothing more disappointing than having the smell and no flavor.

Fenugreek, if you want fake maple flavor like Mrs. Butterworth.

Maple extract, if you want somewhat more realistic flavor, unless it's made from fenugreek, in which case nevermind, but you'll never know by reading the bottle or contacting the manufacturer, because it won't be listed in the ingredients, it will just say "natural flavors" which is oh so helpful.

You'll know fenugreek if you smell it. It is a sickeningly sweet smell and there's nothing else like it on earth (well except for Mrs. Butterworth's and her kin which are definitely made with it).

If you use fenugreek, please use much much MUCH LESS than you think you should use. Take your best guess as to how much you think you might need. Then divide that by about 10. That's how much you need.

fenugreek...use the seeds, powder or oil? seems you can buy in any form on amazon

Just tested fenugreek in spice blends so never realised about that property, is it worth it to make a tincture and add it post ferm? Seems safer

fenugreek...use the seeds, powder or oil? seems you can buy in any form on amazon

Sorry, I don't know -- I won't touch the stuff, I think it's nasty. But effective.

Just tested fenugreek in spice blends so never realised about that property, is it worth it to make a tincture and add it post ferm? Seems safer

Great idea. Add just one drop at a time until you can taste it, then you're done. Might only need 5 drops or something, it is very powerful stuff.

I've brewed with everything maple ( using Sap for the water, syrup for the carbonation ) and it never, ever imparted a Maple flavor. The only way I've ever been able to get any is to stop fermentation and then add it after, right at kegging. Don't remember the amount ( didn't even write it down, go figure ) and, even then, the taste was minimal.

Latest posts

Back