• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

North Carolina Many hot plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
So... I'm an idiot. I used a bid-bot on ebay to place a bunch of bids, but forgot to "group" them (doesn't bid on the next one if you win). The result... i ended up winning 4 of my auctions and I now have 4 stir plates/ hot plates coming in and i only need one. My dumb mistake is everyone else's gain. Right now prices are firm and less than I paid for them. If i decide to lower them I will probably just end up putting them on ebay. All prices are WITHOUT shipping.

Stir plate #1 -$35
$_57.JPG

Stir plate/ hot plate combo -$70 (i will be using one of these to boil and stir my starters so that I dont have to sanitize extra equipment or transfer the wort)
$_57.JPG

Stir plate #2 - $25
$_57.JPG

Probably none of my business, but do NOT use an electric hot plate to heat your Elenmeyer flasks. You will crack/break the flask. Maybe not the first time, but soon.

Probably none of my business, but do NOT use an electric hot plate to heat your Elenmeyer flasks. You will crack/break the flask. Maybe not the first time, but soon.

Thanks for the PMs folks. I am responding to them all now.

Plate #2 is not available anymore.

really? My flask was listed as safe for heating elements, and it said ONLY to use a hot plate, and that an open flame or oven burner can damage it. Has anyone else cracked their flask on a hot plate before?

Perhaps you are talking about rapidly cooling the flask? I have heard of a few people that dunked their boiling flask in ice water and it cracked... While i have actually done this about a dozen times with no trouble, I wouldn't be shocked if i cracked it. The best method for boiling in the flask is probably either A) boil, cover with foil, and leave it there until it cools down to room temp (few hours) or B) dunk the flask in hot water from your sink for 5-10 minutes, and then from the hot water to the ice water so that it goes down gradually.

Not to jump in the fray, but hot plates are designed to direct heat flasks. (What else would they be used for?) User error is the issue if you're breaking flasks (or very poor quality flasks). You will have issues if you crank the thing on high and expect it to just heat up quickly without a problem. They get incredibly hot, as they're made for scientific/industrial use where you may need to heat a liquid to very high temperatures.

If you want to go full on high heat on something that isn't a boiling flask you put it in a sand bath. Otherwise settle for medium and don't worry about exploding flasks.

Like I said, it was probably none of my business. Just letting you know my experience from 25 years working in the lab.

Back