Manifold too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
To get more efficiency from my stainless steel mesh sleeve, I've just built my first CPVC manifold for my square cooler and after looking at it I wonder if it's worth the effort.

Due to the size of the cooler and where the spigot is located I had to make the manifold pretty small. In the image, I can't really go too far near the spigot at the top since the spigot is in the way. Maybe I should forget this cooler and get a different one? Or maybe I should attempt to fit two more left to right pipes in.

Also, I've heard that you should cut slits on the tubes but do you cut them on all the tubes or only the tubes that go (on the picture) left to right.

Finally, are slits any more or less efficient than drilling small holes?

907608060_2fk3u-M.jpg

Batch or Fly?

I don't believe slits/holes makes any difference. I think if is more about configuration when talking about fly sparge manifold efficiency. Just drill plenty of holes (or cut plenty of slits). You should have plenty of drainage area to utilize. I have a similar manifold in my ten gallon round cooler and it works well. My first few brews with it got stuck but i went back and added some more holes and made them a little larger (5/64) and now it runs like a champ.

I was going to try fly for the first time but I don't have a drip system yet. I may try to suspend some tupperware bowl from the cooler and poke holes in it and then pour the water manually into that.

Here's what I'm working with in my round cooler and it works great.

Picture013.jpg

I started with only the slits and it got stuck. Added tons of holes and it runs fast now.

I see you hit all the pipes so that answers that. I thought I read you should only hit the pipes that run lengthwise, which is hard when you have a square like me.

But yours has more rows so I wonder if maybe I need to redo mine.

I also noticed you attached some tubes to make the connection. I'd like to do that if I could find some cpvc parts to make it happen.

Yeah, I slotted all the tubes. I read that you shouldn't also. I am using a round cooler and with a square so I said screw it they are all getting holes. False bottoms have holes all over lol not just in the middle was my reasoning lol.

I didn't notice any change in efficiency or channeling. I get about 80% with the manifold and BMW crush batch sparging.

That's the braided tubing from Lowes which is probably a no-no. Once my high temp stuff gets in all replace it with that.

Back