Manifold for Drink Jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cog3k

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to create a dishwasher safe, robust manifold for my Drink Cooler mash/lauter tun. White copper is a great solution, it's not real dishwasher friendly. Braided stainless lines are dishwasher friendly, but i've heard about very slow lautering and high stuck sparge rates.
So i went with PEX piping. PEX is shorthand for Cross-Linked Polyethylene plumbing, available at almost every home improvement yard. It is commonly used in commercial establishments, but slowly replacing copper and PVC as the piping of choice in homebuilding. PEX is rated to 200F/ 250F in emergency use so we are within its properties.

Shopping List:
5 foot section of 1/2" PEX. i used the "red" [hot water]
3 1/2" T's, brass preferred.
1 1/2" PEX barb-> NPT fitting
existing Mash/Lauter tun with an NPT fitting inside. i'm using a standard Home Depot 5-6 gallon jug with a 3/4" brass sillcock.

Photos at:
http://s280.photobucket.com/user/rallybubbas/library/Brewing/ManifoldProject

Install the PEX barb in the tun to barely finger tight- no more. For my jug, I cut 2@16" and 2@3" sections of PEX. Trim edges with utility knife. Immerse the 2@16" sections in hot water so they are easier to work with- a few minutes in the sink should do the trick. Bend one section into an arc and install a "T" at each end so the T points towards the inside of the arc. Put one end of the second piece on the T and continue the arc back to the other T to complete the circle. Friction and tension should hold the pieces in place without the use of hose clamps. Put the a 3" section on the open piece of T, with the last T acting as a bridge across the circle. if you're short, make your inner legs a little longer- if your long, then just trim until they just fit.
now the tricky part- dry fit the loop in your drink jug and measure from your barb to the T for your Stem Piece- i went mid point to mid point so there was room to assemble inside the jug. Cut the "stem" piece.
I then cross drilled [both vertically and horizontally] every 1/2" or so all of the manifold tubes except the stem with an 1/8" bit; clean the hole edges with a kitchen scrub pad/ scotchbrite. ran everything through the dishwasher one time- been using it since. flow rate it as much or as little as you want, havent had a stuck sparge yet. Total investment: about $12
of course, your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Back