Manifold Design for 10 gallon round cooler????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
Has anyone designed or seen a copper manifold for a 10 gallon round cooler?.

I had a 12 gallon rectangular cooler but it was cheap and lost about 6 degrees over a 60 minute mash.

I found a couple of 10 gallon round igloos on craigslist and now it is time to convert them. I was happy with how the manifold worked in my rectangular cooler. I have some copper laying around and want to try and make something for the round cooler but I can't find any ideas on here after searching for awhile.

I realize false bottom is probably the way to go but I don't really want to shell out the cash. I've got the copper sitting around so I'd rather build the manifold than go the braid route if possible.

Let me know if anyone has done this or seen pics...... I couldn't find much when searching for round manifold designs.

Thanks!

Here is the one I made. I used my bandsaw to cut slits in the bottom of the tubes. Work's great. Just traded it off, worked so well I will probably make another.

ManifoldinCooler.jpg

Nice..... did you fly or batch? do all of the tubes have slits? or just the two center ones?

I just made a new one, and got 85% efficiency with it yesterday. Its a ring of .5 inch OD copper tubing. The ends of the ring are a T, which sits opposite the outlet. The .5 ID tubing coming out of the T is 'necked up' with an adapter to .625 OD copper pipe, which is soldered to a 1/2" female NPT to 1/2" copper fitting. The fitting screws directly onto the weldless coupling inserted through the wall of the cooler.
I drilled 5/16" holes closely spaced in the bottom the ring (total circumference is about 30") and put an SS braid over (around?) the ring.
I don't have a picture . . .

BTW I batch sparge, twice.

Back