Mango Wit Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

means5104

Reaction score
5 Gallon Batch
Specialty Grains for Preboil
.5lb Torrified Wheat
.5lb 6 row pale malt

Steeped in Grain bag until water reaches 170 F.

Boil

6lbs Wheat malt extract syrup
1oz Tettnanger Hops (60 min)
.5oz Willamette Hops (10 min)
.5oz crushed coriander (10 min)
.25oz orange peel
end of boil

Pour wort over 2 pureed fresh mangos steeped in Vodka
Add Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit

Primary for 2 weeks

Bottle for 2 weeks

Im sorry if the recipe is not in a correct format, as I have never written one for critique before. I am aiming to just get a little bit of sweetness and flavor from the mangos. And Im not sure how they will affect fermentation. But I'm shooting for a OG of 1.054 or so. With an final of 1.015. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You're going to need more than 2 mangos. Shoot for about 5-6 pounds of mangos, and I would cube them instead of puree. I personally like to cube and freeze them on brewday. Then once primary fermentation is starting to wind down, thaw them out and add them to primary. You'll have a much better flavor doing this.

Also, no need for vodka. Anything with a skin that is removed doesn't need to be sanitized. If you're worried....the freezing will kill off anything that could possibly be in the fruit.

Brewed today. Was a little darker in color than I thought it would be and was a little more hoppy than I anticipated, but this was the first recipe I designed from scratch. The hops should have a toned down effect after fermentation and secondary with the mangos. All I can do is wait now and see.

Means, how did this turn out? I did a saison with the 3463 3 weeks ago and I have yet to take it out of the primary to taste. I am curious how it turned out. I plan on bottling tomorrow and I will finally get to taste it.

I'm not sure what I did wrong or if time will help. Its very under carbonated. I know time will help in that, but what I'm not sure about is the syrupy mouthfeel. I'm hoping carbonation will thin it out just a little bit, but I'm still fairly new to brewing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The flavor however is pretty good. I have just a little bit of mango aroma coming through which is what I wanted. But the yeast leaves a little fruity hint of its own that is quite pleasant.

I am assuming you are bottling and being in Alabama you are storing the bottles at over 65* to get the carbonation going. How much sugar did you add when you bottled? What was your actual OG/FG?

I have had strange batches where some bottles were carb'd fine, some over carbed and others were flat. I have started to add the sugar an hour or more before bottling to allow for settling after I stir. I have a feeling dumping the sugar and bottling quick is a no-no. (I am halfway saved up to buying a kegging setup)

Its around 70 conditioning temp. But I tried the muntons carbonation drops this time. From this batch results I don't believe I'll be using them again. OG was around 1.044 I don't have my notes for specifics. FG was around 1.010 before adding the mango in secondary. Primary for two weeks secondary on mango for 2 weeks. Been in bottles for 5 weeks. Anything seem off to anyone?

Back