Mandarin Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I typically make different "ciders" using an 80-20 apple juice to other juice (pomegranate, blueberry, etc) with good results. With mandarins at top flavor right now in my neighborhood, I'm wondering if that sort of recipe would work for an 80-20 apple juice/fresh mandarin juice recipe? Of course, I can brew a small experimental batch but thought I would ask if anyone had experience or thoughts on this first.

In my experience, citrus doesn't ferment well.
All of the sugar get fermented and leaves the acid.
The one time I did it, there was some citrus fruit juice blend on the island that I worked on that was almost candy sweet to drink and I thought "this stuff is awesome and it will ferment into something great". Well I learned that when the sugar is removed from citrus and leaves the acid, one ends up with something that tastes like the taste one gets when you have a bit of throw up in that back of your throat.

Although, I was about to dump it and a friend had a sample and said, 'man this is good", I gave him the rest of it, and didn't offer my opinion.
To each their own.

Back