Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to add dme. Idk what gave uou that idea. Most beer finishes around there. Some sweetness won't be bad. If you really just want it to ferment further for more alcohol or because you like it dry you could just pitch more or a different yeast strain in it

I started brewing some apfelwein a month ago. There is no activity in the airlock anymore, but the gravity is at 1.012. How can I restart fermentation? I don't want to add DME.

what was the OG?

what type of yeast?

what type of sugar did you add and how much?

you reading a calibrated hydrometer? or refractometer (not reliable in presence of alcohol)

I started brewing some apfelwein a month ago. There is no activity in the airlock anymore, but the gravity is at 1.012. How can I restart fermentation? I don't want to add DME.

You can agitate the container a bit or use a sanitized spoon to stir it up to re suspend the yeast. Also raise fermentation temp slightly.
Even with all that you could just leave it be and check back in a week or two to see if there's progress.

what was the OG?

what type of yeast?

what type of sugar did you add and how much?

you reading a calibrated hydrometer? or refractometer (not reliable in presence of alcohol)

I completely forgot to take an OG reading, but I followed Ed's recipe to a T. Therefore, I used a packet of Montrachet and added two pounds of corn sugar.

The yeast flocculated after three weeks.

What do you mean by "calibrated" hydrometer?

Thanks for your help!

You can agitate the container a bit or use a sanitized spoon to stir it up to re suspend the yeast. Also raise fermentation temp slightly.
Even with all that you could just leave it be and check back in a week or two to see if there's progress.

My buddy and I racked the apfelwein to secondary yesterday, so I guess it's too late to re-stir. Personally, I'm fine with a slightly sweet apfelwein. I would hate to bottle it and get bombs due to incomplete fermentation.

No need to add dme. Idk what gave uou that idea. Most beer finishes around there. Some sweetness won't be bad. If you really just want it to ferment further for more alcohol or because you like it dry you could just pitch more or a different yeast strain in it

Would pitching more yeast impart a yeasty flavor into the apfelwein? That's something I'd like to avoid.

I completely forgot to take an OG reading, but I followed Ed's recipe to a T. Therefore, I used a packet of Montrachet and added two pounds of corn sugar.

The yeast flocculated after three weeks.

What do you mean by "calibrated" hydrometer?

Thanks for your help!

Calibrated hydrometer: check that it reads 1.000 in distilled water at 68F (some hydrometers are 60F). Tap water will do for a ballpark check.

Montrachet should have ended around 1.000, or even a bit less. 3 weeks is a bit short. You really dont want to rack this stuff to secondary.

Calibrated hydrometer: check that it reads 1.000 in distilled water at 68F (some hydrometers are 60F). Tap water will do for a ballpark check.

Montrachet should have ended around 1.000, or even a bit less. 3 weeks is a bit short. You really dont want to rack this stuff to secondary.

Yes, the hydrometer was calibrated.

I always heard it's not good to let wort sit on trub for over a month due to autolysis creating off flavors. I know there isn't much trub produced from apfelwein, but it's still there.

I'm not sure what's going on with your gravity here, but definitely move to secondary, it gets better with some age on it.

AImhoff I don't think autolysis is a concern with wine yeast as much as it is with brewer's yeast. Even wilds/lambics can sit on the primary yeast cake for years with no noticeable 'soapy' flavors. Same would go for wine.

Update on my batch – I debated transferring my Apfelwein to secondary so that I could oak it, but I figured might as well just toss the oak in primary fermenter (1-month after pitching yeast), and then package from there once the oak has infused enough of it's flavors. Mine is sitting at around 10.5% abv at the moment. Ended up adding 3 lbs of corn sugar to 6.5 gallons. Can't wait, this is my first EdWort apfelwein.

I always heard it's not good to let wort sit on trub for over a month due to autolysis creating off flavors. I know there isn't much trub produced from apfelwein, but it's still there.

It takes at least several months with standard beer / sach-only fermentations. Generally 2 month is fine, probably a little longer is OK.

I forgot an apfelwein with s-04 for 6 months and had to dump it because of autolysis.

(The comment about lambics going for years is because the different organisms interact to remove undesired the autolysis byproducts)

GrogNerd, I see you're also from LoCo. How is the LoCo brew club? Did you learn a lot from attending?

I'm in Wort Hogs and NoVA Homebrew

I enjoy both, Wort Hogs is more of a learning club and has competitions (used to be 10 a year, next year will only be 8). meets 2nd Wednesday of the month at Mellow Mushroom in Herndon, but off-competition months, we'll meet somewhere else, usually one of the local breweries in LoCo or FfxCo.

winners of the Brewer of the Year competition get to brew a pro/am batch at one of the local breweries. most recently at Mad Fox in Falls Church. we also collaborate with Lost Rhino for some interesting brews. Lost Hog was a Dark Golden Strong with part of the batch going into different barrels. Think they may still have a few bottles left, mostly the Red Wine. I have 2 bottles of Port I've been sitting on for, WHOA! 2 years now.

NoVA is more a drinking club. bring homebrew, bring whatever weirdness you can find out in the wild world of craft beer. meets 3rd Monday of the month at Old Ox Brewery. the awesome owner comes in on his only day off during the week to open his doors just for us.

NoVA also collaborates with Old Ox, mostly on their One-Off Wednesday batches, brewed on their pilot system. but one of our members has his recipes brewed on the main system. 2 versions of his Milk Stout are on tap right now, Nitro and Cocoa

I think I've learned a lot by attending both clubs.

there are a few other clubs in the area. haven't been able to attend any of those

I'm not sure what's going on with your gravity here, but definitely move to secondary, it gets better with some age on it.

You don't have to move to secondary to age it though. I kegged mine right around 30 days and it has been super clear without any sediment.
Then bottled some from keg to age it that way it's carbonated without any yeast in it

Would pitching more yeast impart a yeasty flavor into the apfelwein? That's something I'd like to avoid.

No if you let the yeast settle out before packaging it, it will not add yeasty flavor. Anything that has a yeasty flavor probably isn't done fermenting or it tastes that way because of autolosys, as with most any wines wait for the yeast to flocculate then, generally, the wine will be clear. It's no different than when you added the yeast to begin with except it may take a little longer till its time to bottle

Wort is unfermented beer, must is unfermented wine. Trub is also a beer term that refers to hop debris that you want to limit going in the fermenter

Anyone have insight on how to enter this into a competition? I'm specifically wondering about the carbonation level (petillant vs sparkling) and sweetness level (dry or medium dry). I was going to enter it in the applewine category.

I'm going to dry hop my next batch. I am almost finished with my first batch and I have 2 more fermenting. The first one I did followed the original recipe then the next one I used unfiltered apple juice, pectic enzyme, nutrient and energizer. The third batch I used 2 lbs dark brown sugar. I may end up dry hopping my second batch

Just opened my 1st bottle 8 months in. So amazing!!! I might rack a few bottles that I plan on giving as gifts. I ended up with a good film of sediment on the bottom of the bottles that wants to loose when I pour. We did a quick filter with a coffee filter at Thanksgiving and no one seemed to mind. It was a huge hit. I need to back sweeten a few bottles as well so might have a racking and tasting night this week. Better make not a work night, this stuff is stout!

does anyone let it age in the primary carboy for 6-7 months? i'd rather not tie up a keg for that long.

Yes, I've done this many times with good results.

My very first batch (made following the original recipe) was put together back in April of 2016 and it's still in the same 5 gallon carboy. Every once in a while I'll check the airlock and put some vodka in to make sure it doesn't dry out.

One day, when I'm not feeling lazy, I'll get around to bottling it.

does anyone let it age in the primary carboy for 6-7 months? i'd rather not tie up a keg for that long.

I let it age on the primary yeast for that long once, and got autolysis. If you rack it of the yeast after a couple months and then let it age, you should be good though.

Just bottled mine yesterday. 2 month primary. Oaked for the last month. Still samples taste like a Chardonnay. Very nice. Bottle primed with sugar aiming for 2.5 vol. Letting these sit in my basement for at least another 6 months. This will be a killer in the summer time!

Just bottled mine yesterday. 2 month primary. Oaked for the last month. Still samples taste like a Chardonnay. Very nice. Bottle primed with sugar aiming for 2.5 vol. Letting these sit in my basement for at least another 6 months. This will be a killer in the summer time!

Very nice! But with a 2 month primary will they will carb? Have you done this before? Just wondering if there would still be yeast in suspension

Very nice! But with a 2 month primary will they will carb? Have you done this before? Just wondering if there would still be yeast in suspension

They will most definitely carb, it just may take them a while. I made sure to suck up a 'little bit' of yeast off the cake when siphoning. It's usually more towards 5-6 months of sitting in a carboy that you have to start worrying about yeast viability and possibly re-yeasting if bottle priming.

They will most definitely carb, it just may take them a while. I made sure to suck up a 'little bit' of yeast off the cake when siphoning. It's usually more towards 5-6 months of sitting in a carboy that you have to start worrying about yeast viability and possibly re-yeasting if bottle priming.

Oh cool. I wasn't think about the yeast being viable but weather or not there would be any yeast in suspension after 2 months. Mine was pretty clear after 1 month

Made my first Apfelwein today. Will carb some, and leave some uncarbed. Will bottle in a month, and try 3 weeks later. Looking forward to it.

After 48hrs, fermentation is looking good.

Anyone have insight on how to enter this into a competition? I'm specifically wondering about the carbonation level (petillant vs sparkling) and sweetness level (dry or medium dry). I was going to enter it in the applewine category.

Just got my score for the competition. 36. I went with petillant and medium dry. Not bad!

First batch .... I cut the sugar in half and I'm at week 7 as of today, tastes pretty good, tart for sure, definately a bit green and still cloudy ... added some Biofine today ... i'm sure my friends will want t dispatch this over the holidays

With ec1118 is 4lbs/5gal overkill? Would it even ferment out? I accidentally added too much sugar,hope not all is lost.

No hydrometer, so I just used the formula sg-og/.75. And estimated the SG to be 1.080-1.090 I could be wrong but I used eds treetop + 4lbs sugar. Mistake on my part, just hoping it turns out.

Well I hydrated 2.5g ec1118 and pitched it to primary 5gal. I was just worried about my not seeing any signs of fermentation during the first few days. But now of course its looking pretty vigorous, hopefully it it isn't too rough and doesnt take a year to age.

With ec1118 is 4lbs/5gal overkill? Would it even ferment out? I accidentally added too much sugar,hope not all is lost.

Well I hydrated 2.5g ec1118 and pitched it to primary 5gal. I was just worried about my not seeing any signs of fermentation during the first few days. But now of course its looking pretty vigorous, hopefully it it isn't too rough and doesnt take a year to age.

The 1118 is a beast of a yeast and will do just fine with all of that sugar. The problem you may have is, it will be super high in ABV that it may take a much longer time before it's able to be enjoyed. What you can do is, split this into 2 batches and just double the amount of juice. If you have extra carboy and airlock, this is probably the best option.

Thanks brewit, I know I went against Ed's exact recipe, my lbhs didn't have the Montrachet, and I should've double checked my sugar measurements, but I'll definitely try to double up on juice, I'm 7 days in so hope it's not to late.

Hi all - recently made my first batches of this. Based on the massive comment chains, this looks extremely promising...

Got a few questions which I can't seem to find great answers to in ALL the comments, so forgive me :)

I wanted to explore different variations on this, so I made 4 batches, each with 5 gallons Treetop juice + 2 lbs dextrose. Two batches received a pitch of Montrachet, the other two received Cote des Blancs, to look at the impact on final product.

Stupidly, I forgot to collect OG readings, but the consensus appears to be somewhere in the ballpark of 1.075. I'll just have to take readings for the next batch :)

Due to the time of year (started this in mid-October), ambient temperatures inside have been ~55-60 F, which made me somewhat concerned for its impact on fermenting. However, bubbles kicked off within 24 hours for each carboy, so I was happy. The Montrachet batches were more vigorous than the Cote des Blancs ones, but neither had any issues with blowoff. My bubbling looked nearly identical to those seen in the video in EdWort's original post, nothing like the Krausen seen in some other photos here (even the ones who still used wine yeasts).

Fast-forward 9 weeks, and all batches are crystal clear, with no sign of any bubbles in the Cote bathes in almost 2 weeks. I decide to keg up one batch of the Cote, to collect FG readings, as well as let it age for longer. FG was 1.020, a good bit above the 0.995 - 1.000 I was expecting... I realize 2 months in primary is young, I just wanted to see what it looked like at this point, and make some holiday Grog :) The others will be remaining in primary for at least another 2 months longer. The Montrachet batches have calmed down significantly, but still have a few *VERY* tiny bubbles rising up, which I'm assuming is a little bit of natural malolactic fermentation. The Montrachet batches also had a very noticeably larger amount of lees than the Cote batches.

Question time:

• I don't think the one Cote batch fermented fully, though it tasted fairly dry. Was this most likely due to fermenting too cold? It's now in a keg at ambient temp and off the lees, so restarting fermentation would be tricky...
  • If this was too cold, I'll be starting another batch once temperature warm up a bit in early spring, and let them ferment over the spring / summer. Other than the yeast's upper temperature limit, what's a good upper bound to stay under in terms of room temperature for this? I normally use temperature control for beer, but due to the large scale of this experiment, it wasn't an option here.
  • I don't do much bottling, I'm mostly a keg kind of guy. Since this needs to age after primary for some time, what would the best way to do this be? Age in kegs at low PSI for several months? Rack to another carboy for secondary?
  • People clearly have no issues with letting this sit on the lees in primary for an extended period of time, even though my beer senses are getting anxious :) Is ~ 4 months okay to transfer out of primary, without worrying about autolysis from the lees?
  • For each yeast strain, I had wanted to pitch a secondary fermentation of a well-cultured malolactic bacteria, to really hit the malolactic fermentation HARD, to convert the green apple new-wine flavors to a stronger buttery apple-pie vibe. By doing a batch of each yeast with and without pitching a malolactic bacteria, I'm looking forward to seeing the difference! Any recommendations for a culture? I would assume that pitching into a secondary carboy after 3-4 months of primary would be a good time.

From my taste so far, while a little green, I can see why it's so popular :) Looking forward to seeing how this smooths out in several months.

Thanks for all the help!

I don't imagine that those temps would have been problematic, but I am no expert...

I like to bulk age as long as I can, so I would rack to another carboy for secondary (keg idea sounds fine too, but I don't keg), and I don't think 4 mos in the primary will hurt it... I have only done a few batches of cider, but I think I have generally let them sit for a few months to clarify before racking to secondary...

That's all the help I've got... assuming it is even helpful!

Let us know how it goes!

edit: looking back at my records I have never left cider in the primary more than about 2 months before racking or bottling (racking is probably the better plan!)...

Your post inspired me to crack a bottle of 4 year old cider (had a little wildflower honey and Lalvin K1-V1116 wine yeast...). Tastes like a nice dry light wine, came in around 9%, and the honey made it clarify (I am guessing from a parallel recipe excepting that it used corn sugar instead of honey and did not clarify as quickly or as well... I have done more batches since and found that honey does seem to help cider clarify.)... Anyway, good plan!

Cheers!

Back