Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did this go!!?? How did they compare?

Call me biased, but I think mine did better than the entire flight we judged. There were so many berry ciders that were not balanced did not have any apple flavor or aroma. We had one cider with cinnamon that gushed and smelled like a bad fart.

The best one of the flight was a jalapeño cider which was done very well, nice balance, good apple flavor, and aroma, plus the subtle jalapeño heat later. I scored that one highest at 44.

I had some other judges try my 13 month old Apfelwein and everyone enjoyed it with two thumbs up. Of course we all sat through a cider judging workshop on Wednesday evening. :D

An Applewine did take the silver and bronze though. :rockin:

Some times it is the luck of the draw that you get judges with some experience in the category. Oh well, such is life. I'll keep trying though.

Well, with my first batch (made March 4th) carbed and chilled I've received some feedback and most seem to enjoy it but also state its a bit hot and tart.
So, my goal is to make more batches and see if at 6months the difference as well as 1 year.
If it mellows some in that time frame and the apple comes up front more, I think this will be something regularly made and aged. However, if not, I think I'll have to back off and/or try other recipes to suit tastes.

Better get cranking on another batch soon after that one, or better yet, get three going at one time....;)

I like threesomes! :D

Yeah I would have to see if she would be down for that...oh wait you were talking about...never mind....

I definitely plan on making two batches this weekend....we just saw your video of it being poured out of the tap and her response was "ooooh apfelwein on tap...you better make some more of that soon!" so maybe I'll buy another carboy and go for the threesome! :mug:

Finally...All the hard work...Making, drinking, researching Apfelwein....and Finally, Ed Has Quoted me in his Signature.
I must say....I want to write home to Mom about this one.

Thanks Ed.:mug:

Finally...All the hard work...Making, drinking, researching Apfelwein....and Finally, Ed Has Quoted me in his Signature.
I must say....I want to write home to Mom about this one.

No problem Big Guy! It even links back to your post for more context. I read that and was LMAO!

How long can this be aged in the Primary? should I rack to a secondary when it clears or a few months down the road? I know this is normally this is not racked to a secondary, but I don't want it to sit on the lees too long. I want to age it in carboys as long as possible, I am starting 2 batches at the same time. I really want to try it aged at 6 months and the 2nd at 1 year as many say how great it is. I have 1 batch that is about 6 weeks old and almost clear, that should last until the 6 months batch is ready. Thanks

This juice showed up at my local Costco. It's 100% clear juice from American Apples. Not from concentrate and NO preservatives or additives. It costs 40 cents more per 2 gallon pack than Tree Top (and Tree Top is from concentrate). I'm going to give it a 3 batch whirl as I'm getting ready to keg 15 gallons.

AppleJuice-Kirkland.jpg

The increased cost of juice has just bumped up the price of 5 gallons of Apfelwein to $23.95 (juice, dextrose, & yeast). That comes to 30 cents per 8 ounce serving or 45 cents per 12 ounce serving.

Apfelwein costs have gone up almost 21% based on what I was paying a few months ago. With this juice, it is $5 more per batch.

Still, it beats paying 8 bucks a sixer for mediocre sweet cider in the store.

This juice showed up at my local Costco. It's 100% clear juice from American Apples. Not from concentrate and NO preservatives or additives. It costs 40 cents more per 2 gallon pack than Tree Top (and Tree Top is from concentrate). I'm going to give it a 3 batch whirl as I'm getting ready to keg 15 gallons.

Ed,

I have now made 3 batches of Apfelwein and Kirkland is all I have been using. It finishes VERY clear and tastes great. I think you will like it.

I just completed my very own portable draft system (70 qt Igloo cooler, 2,5 Gal Keg). I am using a 20 Ounce paintball bottle to carbonate and dispense. Two kegs are carbing up right now. The plan is to have them ready for next week's vacation. This is also my first foray into kegging. Stupid question: Is it necessary to de-pressurize the keg prior to connecting the beer line or can I just slap it on there under pressure? Thanks.

Is it necessary to de-pressurize the keg prior to connecting the beer line or can I just slap it on there under pressure? Thanks.

Nope, just slap it on there. Just be sure to not fill past the gas in dip tube. If you did, hook up the tap and draw off a pint before hooking up the gas. Thanks for the tip on Kirkland juice.

Just a quick update -I follwed Ed's recipe to a T- I took a gravity reading after 3 weeks and it's at what looked to be 99.5. Looks nice and clear. Anyway, I had to do it - I siphoned off a 1/2 gallon and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours. I loved it, my SWMBO loved it, my neighbor loved it...If it's this good already, I don't think I could stand what it's going to be like in a couple of months. I'm going to try and wait but I'm not promising that the growler won't magically fill up now and again.
Guess it's time to buy another Better Bottle to dedicate to ED's wonder tonic:mug:

AppleJuice-Kirkland.jpg

The increased cost of juice has just bumped up the price of 5 gallons of Apfelwein to $23.95 (juice, dextrose, & yeast). That comes to 30 cents per 8 ounce serving or 45 cents per 12 ounce serving.

Apfelwein costs have gone up almost 21% based on what I was paying a few months ago. With this juice, it is $5 more per batch.

Still, it beats paying 8 bucks a sixer for mediocre sweet cider in the store.

I envy you....where I live I have been paying $4.99 a gallon. It's also $4.75 a gallon of gas. :drunk:

How long can this be aged in the Primary? should I rack to a secondary when it clears or a few months down the road? I know this is normally this is not racked to a secondary, but I don't want it to sit on the lees too long. I want to age it in carboys as long as possible, I am starting 2 batches at the same time. I really want to try it aged at 6 months and the 2nd at 1 year as many say how great it is. I have 1 batch that is about 6 weeks old and almost clear, that should last until the 6 months batch is ready. Thanks

OK I'll try again, this got buried real quick. Anyone able to answer this for me?

Made my 1st batch of apfelwein today. The original post says you can fit all but 3 or 4 oz. in the carboy. I used a 5 gal carboy and 5 gallons of juice, but ended up with over 2 cups left over. I filled it up to just about the neck. Is that too full? Now I just have to wait.

I am in my 3rd week in the primary with mine, and this is the only one i have ever made, but i do know that it wont hurt it to leave it there for at least a month, maybe 2 more weeks. I don't see why you couldn't rack, after the second or third week, and leave in the sec. as long as you want. I am sorta a noOb but, that is my opinion, and only an opinion.

--matt--

jay415 -

It seems like someone, probably Ed, has gone 8 months or so, with it still in the primary, and it just gets better with age.

The above is just my vague recollection.

Use this site's search feature on this thread for the key words of your question if you want a more exact answer!

Pogo

jay415 -

It seems like someone, probably Ed, has gone 8 months or so, with it still in the primary, and it just gets better with age.

Use this site's search feature on this thread for the key words of your question if you want a more exact answer!

Pogo

I've gone 4 months in primary without issue.

jay415 -

Pogo
Thanks guys, Actually I have searched and also it took me a few weeks here and there reading, but I read the whole thread. and I didn't see anything specific about aging in a primary longer than 3 months. Well I'll let you know if I start developing off flavors with longer primary aging. But if Edwort was safe with 4 months I don't expect it being a problem.

After a few days I'm finally experiencing the rhino farts. Thankfully it's in the basement. I'm curious to see if the Costco brand is better in taste than Tree Top.

Ah the virtues of this wonderfull beverage! Apfelwein hath cured me of a knee buckling toothache that had me contemplating jumping out the window to halt the agony in my head. At least for a little while I was human again and not a creature filled with pain and thoughts of a quick end. (Off to the dentist tomorow)

You, sir, have some some serious patience. Either that or you already had enough to tide you over for 9 weeks. My bet's on the latter;):mug:

Apfelwein keg blew last night, so off to the garage to get a full one. The next one in line is 10/07/07 vintage (8 months old). The one after that is 10/28/07 followed by 2 made on 3/24/08 and one on 4/18/08.

The key is to build a pipeline and keep shoving them in there and eventually they will pop out nice, aged, mature, & tastier.

I'm making my second batch now. I added yeast nutrient this time and absolutely no rhino farts. Well worth the couple of bucks. Also, this stuff is delicious with tonic water.

How long is it acceptable to leave Apfelwein on its lies? I prefer to bulk age and keep my paws off my brews by extending their stay in the carboy. I have had an Apfelwein in primary for about three months now, is that bad? It doesn't look bad, but I was looking for some experience. Thanks

How long is it acceptable to leave Apfelwein on its lies? I prefer to bulk age and keep my paws off my brews by extending their stay in the carboy. I have had an Apfelwein in primary for about three months now, is that bad? It doesn't look bad, but I was looking for some experience. Thanks

No problem with Montrachet yeast. I have two carboys from 3/24 not kegged yet. I'll get around to it this weekend maybe.

I must be one of the few people on this board who hasn't made this (yet). If you keg this, should it be force carb'd? What pressure?

Well my Apfelwein is well underway about 3 weeks into it, figure got 1 more in primary and 2 in bottles i used

Cotes Des Blanc. Also known as Epernay II. Recommended for meads and ciders, as well as fruit wines, particularly apple. Imparts a fruity aroma in both red and white wines. A slow fermenter that works best between 50 and 80 deegrees. This strain will not ferment to dryness at the low end of that range, leaving residual sugar resulting in a sweeter wine.

any one else try this i went with it because of the "particularly apple" anythoughts before i give it a taste?

will let you know how it turned out and cant wait to get started on my next batch

Here is a glass of Ed's Recipe.
51 Days in the tank, 19 days in the bottle.
Just checking Carbonation tonight. Now it's going to go to the basement for 3 or 4 months before it comes to the front of the rotation.

Thanks Ed!

aw1.jpg

Well my Apfelwein is well underway about 3 weeks into it, figure got 1 more in primary and 2 in bottles i used

Cotes Des Blanc. Also known as Epernay II. Recommended for meads and ciders, as well as fruit wines, particularly apple. Imparts a fruity aroma in both red and white wines. A slow fermenter that works best between 50 and 80 deegrees. This strain will not ferment to dryness at the low end of that range, leaving residual sugar resulting in a sweeter wine.

any one else try this i went with it because of the "particularly apple" anythoughts before i give it a taste?

will let you know how it turned out and cant wait to get started on my next batch

let er sit a little longer. I never keg till I hit the 3-4 month mark. I've got one batch in the secondary since Dec. (it's a bit of an experiment with Lacto)

Ed, looks great my friend! I'll have too whip up a batch pretty soon. Sounds like it would be amazing year round but especially during the fall & winter. Sounds like it'll be excellent too sip on on those cold nights or like you suggested, warmed up in a pan and served hot.

Ed, I was looking back and can't search psi (too short) I know I saw it but you keep Apfelwein kegged @ 10 psi correct? Thanks

Just kegged 15 gallons last night! :tank: All were in their Better Bottles since 3/11... Over 15 weeks!... (Never intended to be that long but had a baby during that time and she had something to say)...

Side note the batches we are all stored in my basement where the temp was 66-67...

Needless to say I followed the original recipe to the letter for all 3 batches. WOW is all I can say... SMOOOOOTTTTHHHHHHH

I had a previous batch in bottles from my first attempt back in Dec so I decided to add some extracts to 2 of the batches... Raspberry and Blackberry Extract added to the kegs prior to racking... The samples last night were AMAZING... Can’t wait for the flavors to really pull thru (not that it needs it)

So now off to fill 3 Better Bottles for the next batch... Might try some different yeasts but I am not sure that I want to mess with perfection!

Thanks to ED and everyone for ALL the opinions and advice...

MOFO

Back