Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a batch of this in 08, kegged it and forgot about it. I only just recently tapped the keg, it got placed with some empties inadvertently (too many corny kegs if that's possible). Sad to say, it doesn't age well at 4 years. 5 gallons down the drain.

I'll try again in a month or so and this time be a bit more prompt in consumption!

I made a 3 gallon batch of this and will be bottling it soon. I added strawberries after a couple of weeks of fermentation, then racked to a secondary after a few weeks to get it off all the yeast and gross strawberries. I'm going to run it through a Buon Vino filter, which will remove the yeast. If I want to carbonate it can I add half a pack of the Lalvin yeast to the bottling bucket with some dextrose?

I don't see any problem with this, so long as you're sure fermentation's finished prior to filtering.

I brewed a batch of this in 08, kegged it and forgot about it. I only just recently tapped the keg, it got placed with some empties inadvertently (too many corny kegs if that's possible). Sad to say, it doesn't age well at 4 years. 5 gallons down the drain.

I'll try again in a month or so and this time be a bit more prompt in consumption!

wait what? how does it not taste amazing?

also I see youre from kansas? Overland Park bro reporting

SWMBO and I just tried this last night and we both liked it. I threw 5 gallons together four weeks ago. I made up 8 bottles for her to take to work and two bombers for aging. I figure three months for one bomber and six for the other. The rest of the batch went into a keg. Saturday is our hoity toity annual Cheese and Wine party. Apfelwein will be a different offering, this year. Pretty impressed with the stuff. I will definitely be making more, soon...

Just jumped in. Been following this thread since it was young, but never tried it.

Bought 3 gallons of Motts, and saved some old caps. Drilled 2 caps and fitted them with airlocks & sterilized them. Poured my daughter 2 cups of juice and pitched 1/2 a packet each of montrachet and 1118 (I'm experimenting) no extra sugar (SWMBO doesn't like high alcohol content).

Now they are in the basement sitting next to the 3rd gallon, which is earmarked for hobo wine and bread yeast (an experiment to prove I can't use SWMBO's yeast). Gonna pick up another airlock this afternoon.

image-3659444713.jpg

Leftover apfelcorn. Its old but its liquid. Been in the jugs for about 2 hours and already have a little foam forming.
I did the same thing. I also bottled some of mine into growlers with a little priming sugar, xylitol, cider extract and a shot of.... you got it, apfelkorn, that I keep on hand for cooking purposes.

Gonna give it a taste in about a year. It should be, errr, interesting.

smagee said:
I've subbed brown sugar 1:1 for corn sugar in a couple batches to good results. I can't honestly say I can really tell the difference, but it'll work.

Cool! I smelled the brown sugar a bit and could definetally see the browner colored (must?) , I'm interested to see how it ferments out! The OG was at 1.081.

Just an update on my last posting about my 5 gal batch that was started back in October. It tastes amazing now! Hooray! I've been converted. Thanks for all the help along the way everyone.

So I decided since there is so much hype about this I NEEDED to try it.

I accidentally put in 2lbs malto-dextrine instead of 2lbs dextrose... Its been about 5 1/2 weeks now. It is such a tried and true recipe that I decided no gravities were necessary and that I would just wait out the recommended time. It seems like it is pretty much done now and I will be kegging it tonight to see what it is like for the first time!

I looked around a bit and read that mine will be much thicker than it is supposed to, has anyone recently made my same mistake with the malto-dextrine? Other than mouthfeel will It taste pretty much the same as the original recipe?

I am finally bottling the 5gal I did in... middish October. I forget exactly. Been under airlock the entire time. Going to bottle and prime with some corn suger.

So let it sit for another 3 months in bottle at least yeah? I am in no hurry to drink it.

-Eric

I just ordered everything i need (never brewed anything before) so as soon as i pick it up, ill be getting my first batch started!

Thanks for any Future help!

Been just over 28 hours, and both are bubbling quietly in the basement. Pitched the bread yeast in the other gallon and fitted the blowoff tube. I am prepared for mixed results.

I'm prepping to do my first 5 gallon batch. I intend to ferment in a bucket and age in a cornelius keg. I only have an 8 gallon bucket for fermentation - I don't think the headspace should be an issue provided my sanitation is good and I rack it into a keg when the time comes.

Before I actually do this, can I get a confirmation that this should be OK?

I'm prepping to do my first 5 gallon batch. I intend to ferment in a bucket and age in a cornelius keg. I only have an 8 gallon bucket for fermentation - I don't think the headspace should be an issue provided my sanitation is good and I rack it into a keg when the time comes.

Shouldn't be an issue.

your fine

I am not sure if it is possible to read 10 pages into this thread and not have to make a batch. Certainly was not the case for me. Unless something crazy happens I am going to start my first batch tomorrow, just had a question about the dextrose.

I will be making a 3 gallon batch, I do not have a 5 gallon carboy and the warden will kill me if I go buy one at the moment. ;) I also currently lack a kitchen scale, another thing on the list but I am holding out just a bit.

The question then, is do I resort to less precise volumetric measurements allowing 2.5 cups per pound, or do I just grin nefariously while dumping 2 pounds of dextrose into a 3 gallon batch? If I chose the latter approach, will this affect the amount of time I will need to wait before I can bottle? I will probably end up bottle aging this. Thanks guys! Sorry if this is a repost, I tried searching and just got lost in the results.

I have 5 gallons fermenting away in an aqua tainer with balloon air lock. Used lucky leaf apple juice cause it was part fresh apples and 2 lb dark brown sugar. Muntons ale yeast dry cause I had some. Smells pretty good. Had temps steady at 74 degrees. Can feel pressure release all the time from the balloon with tiny holes. Got it sitting between 5 gallons of cream ale and 5 gallons of hefeweisen. I plan on leaving it in the aqua tainer for about a month.then bottling.

I'd just go with 1lb of dextrose. It'll still be tasty, just slightly less deadly.

With this, how much lower would the ABV be using 1 pound dextrose for 3 gallons? Does anyone know, or can steer me towards a good calculator? I am wondering if this would put it past the wine category and into cider. With it being dry to begin with, not sure I want to make it potentially dryer. :drunk:

I guess I'd rather hang onto the second pound of dextrose I have for another batch, what if I did a pound of dextrose and half a cup of honey? (I know, I know.... I need a brewing scale!) Thanks!

With this, how much lower would the ABV be using 1 pound dextrose for 3 gallons? Does anyone know, or can steer me towards a good calculator? I am wondering if this would put it past the wine category and into cider. With it being dry to begin with, not sure I want to make it potentially dryer. :drunk:

I guess I'd rather hang onto the second pound of dextrose I have for another batch, what if I did a pound of dextrose and half a cup of honey? (I know, I know.... I need a brewing scale!) Thanks!

In my 3 gallon batch I did one pound of brown sugar and probably a cup of honey. Not sure how it tastes yet though because I just did it Wednesday. I didn't want to lose much ABV using one pound of sugar so that's why I decided to add some honey.

turtlescales said:

I don't think it will be any drier. In fact it might be slightly sweeter with the honey

Oh, I meant drier with just the dextrose. :) Thanks you guys, I have to hold back a little longer, hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can start this. If not, it means we are moving cross country and my boyfriend got his dream job, so.... either next week or when we get somewhere. That'd be fun, a house warming brewing project, haha.

Latest posts

Back