Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.. so..

It appears my 3 gallons has now cleared and fermentation is over... time to bottle.

my question is.. how much corn sugar should i use.

I have a 4oz package left over from a beer kit that I plan on using but i'm not sure how much I should add for bottling.

fyi.. i used nottingham ale yeast and 12.5 oz of corn sugar in the ferment.

ideas?

thanks
ws

Last night I made 5 gallons of Apfelwein and when I woke up today the top was covered with sludge and it had filled up my Airlock. Any Ideas as to what happen?

Thanks EdWort !!! Your Apfelwein rocks :mug: !! I stuck to your orig. recipe except I used 6gals of juice. Been drinking it all sorts of ways. Straight up, with Sprite, with Sprite & blueberries(SWMBO's idea, I'm gonna plant that girl some berry bushes). Although the orig. is great, I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to tweek the recipe. Thanks again man. :tank: RR

This is what keeps growing on top. Any help to how to stop this or better yet what caused it would be great.

brew1.jpeg

Ryanh1801 said:
what yeast did you use? Using the monarch red star I never got anything like that.

It happened to my brother--he used the Moncharchet (or however you spell it). It went away in a few days and never came back. Someone on here said the same thing happened to them and it didn't have any effect on taste.

LALVIN Wine Yeast EC-1118 is what I used.

This the same yeast that came in a Peach cider kit that I bottled a few weeks ago. I used my primary bucket with that kit so I never seen it do this.

Dan T said:
This is what keeps growing on top. Any help to how to stop this or better yet what caused it would be great.

That happened to me as well, it goes away after a few days. I had to clean my airlock at least twice--take it as a good sign of a strong fermentation. :mug:

Dan T said:

I never seen this before other than your picture. One other person had posted this problem with an overly agressive ferment. They thought the yeast beached itself on the wall. How well did you mix the yeast? Did you just pour it on top?

I always mix mine. That doesn't mean much unless 90% of the yeast was floating on top.

The fix for this is easy. Put the airlock on, swill the daylights out of it to dislodge the beached yeast, it should fall back into the carboy and start up in a little bit.

If it doesn't start after 24hrs., repitch yeast w/ 1/2 tsp of energizer or nutrients per gal of juice.

Good Luck!

:mug:

I'm thinking this apfelwein is a national phenomena...

Half the batch that I carbed two weeks ago already carbed up.
Popped a bottle today and it was very fizzy with a half inch foam on top.

I think I like it better carbed.

I bottled my first batch of Apfelwein tonight. It made 2 cases and 1 extra so I threw that one in the freezer to cool it down quick. Not carbonated obviously but I liked it a lot.

All I have to say is :mug: great stuff Ed!

After I bottled I immediatly started a second batch. I did this one a little different for chits and giggles.

5 gallons TreeTop
1 lb turbinado
1 lb clover honey
Cotes de Blanc yeast

I expect to have this in constant production. :D

/150th page heh

Are we finally up to 150 pages? Is this a precident? The longest thread on these distinguished Fora?

Ed, you have out done yourself!! Bravo, Maestro!! :D :D

steve

Well my mutant apple/peach/passionfruit apfelwein is bubbling away nicely. Airlock has a very pronounced peach smell so this one should turn out to be an interesting brew.

Hmmmm, its been brewing for about 30 hours now and already its tasting a lot better than the crappy juice. A bit of tartness and a nice fizz. Tastes kind of like cheapo but drinkable alcopop...

skou said:
Are we finally up to 150 pages? Is this a precident? The longest thread on these distinguished Fora?

Ed, you have out done yourself!! Bravo, Maestro!! :D :D

steve

Thanks. Were almost up to 1500 posts and a couple hundred off that in gallons made so far. Cheap, Easy, Tasty, & it will bite you if you don't watch out. :drunk:

I did 4 gallons juise, 4 cans concentrate, 1 lb corn sugar, and Cotes yeast. I took my first sip and I hate to blasphemise....but it tastes too "winey" for me. I was hoping for a little more "cidery" taste with the concentrate. What should I bottle with in order to get some sweetness in there?

Kayos said:
I did 4 gallons juise, 4 cans concentrate, 1 lb corn sugar, and Cotes yeast. I took my first sip and I hate to blasphemise....but it tastes too "winey" for me. I was hoping for a little more "cidery" taste with the concentrate. What should I bottle with in order to get some sweetness in there?

It should taste winey. 7% ABV from juice + 2.5% w corn sugar = 9.5%

Quit whining and start drinkin'. :D Try 1lb lactose sugar, maybe two. FYI- You have to boil the lactose with water or it won't mix well.

Did you follow the 3 glass rule? If not you should try it first.

Made a 1 gallon experimental batch using EC1118 champagne yeast. As I somewhat expected, it tastes like apple champagne. Too dry for my taste.
Oh well, the 5 gals of Ed's original with Montrachet goes in bottles tomorrow.
I can hardly wait!!

jpuf said:
Made a 1 gallon experimental batch using EC1118 champagne yeast. As I somewhat expected, it tastes like apple champagne. Too dry for my taste.
Oh well, the 5 gals of Ed's original with Montrachet goes in bottles tomorrow.
I can hardly wait!!

That's what experimenting is for. Glad you like the original recipe.

Schlenkerla said:
Did you follow the 3 glass rule? If not you should try it first.

Good point Schlenkerla! Gotta make sure folks follow the rules here! :D

This makes 1,500th post in the thread! Wow! :ban:

EdWort said:
Good point Schlenkerla! Gotta make sure folks follow the rules here! :D

This makes 1,500th post in the thread! Wow! :ban:

Edwort - Congratulations!!!!

Most people fail to remember how much they loved their first beer. I recall back when I was 15 or 16 years old. I was like wow this is great when it was really horrible tasting (I recall drinking Schlitz & Hudipol)! Its what my buddies were doing to feel like adults.

To all Apfelwein Neophites; Apfelwein is a quickly acquired taste. My first cider tasted like appley wine, not sure whether I liked it, after getting through 1 or 2 glasses the dry bitter twang was gone. The rest of the night I drank cider and boy did I have a rude awaking after I got off the bar stool to take a leak. Wham, the buzz hit me with some wobbley legs. Drink with caution. It can sneak up on you.

Ok im not sure but I think I might have a problem. Mine is still bubbling away and hydrometer reading is .90. it have been 6 weeks and a few days. Is their any reason why it would go this low? It taste very good though.

Your fine! Its done! - The damn thing will bubble forever it you let it go. Its at a trickle rate.

Out of curiosity what's the temp comp???

Mine No.1 was bubbling at .9 the thing is filled with gas and will pass bubbles for awhile. I'm not a wine maker but i think this is why they degass wine.

So if in a few days the gravity is the same should I go ahead and bottle? I have it in a tub of water that stays around 65 maybe a little higher. Also should I consider degassing it? ah I feel like such a moron, lol. I just want to drink the stuff now.

Ryanh1801 said:
So if in a few days the gravity is the same should I go ahead and bottle? I have it in a tub of water that stays around 65 maybe a little higher. Also should I consider degassing it? ah I feel like such a moron, lol. I just want to drink the stuff now.

It not a bad idea to let wait, if its dropping day to day. My question is how much is it off with the fermentation temp. The gravity readings fluctuate with temperature. My thoughts were that its not off much since the temp is low. That's all. Something to consider in your readings.

Don't think you're a moron we've all been there. You don't need to degass it, I was saying this about wines seeming to have residual carbonation. It continues to bubble even when its done. If you want to bottle it still (w/o any bubbles) then degass. If you want carbonation like 90% of us just make a priming solution equivalent to beer. Your apfelwein is possibly 25% of the way to being carbonated. If you want to drink it now leave some to the side and chill it in a bucket of ice. A small Paul Mason Carafe works well. An old wine bottle does a good job too.

:tank:

How does this stuff do ageing in the keg? I'm gonna make a batch next payday and if I like it I was thinking I'd make another batch and put it away in the keg for a few months. It dosne't turn to vinegar or anything, right? :)

I finally made myself a batch. I used Farm Flavor apple juice from Shoprite (99 cents per half gallon) for a total of $10, boiled 1/2qt of water and 2lbs dextrose. Montrachet yeast of course. The total price including the local LHBS ripoff $4 for 20oz of dextrose was $16.25 for 5 gallons.

Yeah, I bought mine for $.88 per half gallon. So $8.80 for 5 gallons, about $2 for corn sugar and $.75 for the montrachet. A whopping $11.55. That is my first batch and it is still in the carboy. I think it has been a month? Have to check that. Tasted it and took a reading a week ago. Tasted like white wine apple flavored of course. It was only down to 1.008. So, I'll let it sit I guess.

Got 5 more gallons of juice waiting to go. Not as good a sale on those but hey only a couple of bucks more.

Bobby_M said:
I finally made myself a batch. I used Farm Flavor apple juice from Shoprite (99 cents per half gallon) for a total of $10, boiled 1/2qt of water and 2lbs dextrose. Montrachet yeast of course. The total price including the local LHBS ripoff $4 for 20oz of dextrose was $16.25 for 5 gallons.

Not bad. You don't need to boil water for the dextrose though, you can put a pound in each jug after you make room for it. Just shake and it dissolves in a few seconds. That's what I do.

Just a quick question: I put my first batch in my carboy today, and I was wondering how long should this take until I see some reaction. The same amount of time as for beer?

clearlysuburban said:
Just a quick question: I put my first batch in my carboy today, and I was wondering how long should this take until I see some reaction. The same amount of time as for beer?

Generally 6-8 weeks from start to finish. When it is transparent its ready.

24 days...
100_2476.jpg

Can't wait to get this in bottles, hopefully it will clear up and I can bottle this weekend.

Beerrific said:
24 days...
100_2476.jpg

Can't wait to get this in bottles, hopefully it will clear up and I can bottle this weekend.

Looking good. You could have still gotten another inch of juice in there. I would not use that type of airlock till after the first week or so.

EdWort said:
Looking good. You could have still gotten another inch of juice in there.
Yeah I realize that now. I wasn't sure if it would foam at all and I wanted a drink of juice;)

EdWort said:
I would not use that type of airlock till after the first week or so.
Why is that?

I only have one 3-piece airlock, it is on a carboy in my fridge, the bubbler one won't fit in there.

clearlysuburban said:
what i meant was how long until i see action in the airlock?

My bad. Ya 12-24 hours it should start bubblin pretty good....its a pretty agressive fermenter and may bubble as much as 30 times per minute within 24-36 hours but you should start seeing action within 12-24.

Mine took a day and a half to see anything. Started the 28th at 4:00pm. The yeast just stayed suspended but when I got home from work yesterday I saw a bit of foam. This morning I had activity in the airlock about once every 3 to 4 seconds and about half an inches of foam.

By the way the vodka in the air lock works great!
:ban:

Beerrific said:
I only have one 3-piece airlock, it is on a carboy in my fridge, the bubbler one won't fit in there.

I recommend getting another one. The fermentation is very steady for a week or so and the bubbler will evaporate quickly, so you need to pay attention to how much is in there as you will need to add some vodka every other day or so till the fermentation slows down. The 3 piece airlocks hold more vodka, that's all.

Keep an eye on it and don't let it all evaporate. :mug:

Back