Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess would be it's not done fermentation at 2 weeks, and you might create bottle bombs. Some have reported it takes 6 weeks for fermentation to finish. There's a LOT of sugar in this concoction.

I just made a batch of this today too. I used 2lb 4oz of corn sugar though, just to use up some extra priming sugar I had laying around.

Not going to keg until Oct-Nov, and plan to serve it at a holiday party.

Wouldnt' there be drawbacks to letting it sit on the yeast for 6 months? Or are you going to move it to a secondary in the meantime?

Wouldnt' there be drawbacks to letting it sit on the yeast for 6 months? Or are you going to move it to a secondary in the meantime?

I have no idea! This is my first time making it. I "thought" I was going to leave it on the yeast for that long, it seems to me from reading these posts that people leave it in primary that long, but maybe I'm mistaken?

What do the seasoned veterans of Apfelwein think???

T
I'm wondering what the drawbacks are of bottling after two weeks. I know at least 4 weeks is recommended and up to 3 months gives the best taste. But I used a polycarbonate (water cooler bottle) fermenter and these are rumored to have problems with oxygen permeation after 2 weeks, causing bad flavors.

I have made about 10 batches in 5 gallon water cooler bottles.
Leave it go, you wont get any off tastes.
I bottled some too early and it sucked. it never cleared right and tasted not so good. We used it to cook with.
At the very least, let it go a week after the bubbles stop.

I have no idea! This is my first time making it. I "thought" I was going to leave it on the yeast for that long, it seems to me from reading these posts that people leave it in primary that long, but maybe I'm mistaken?

Longest I have left a batch in primary is 145 days.
Its the best tasting batch out of the last 20 or so.

I have made about 10 batches in 5 gallon water cooler bottles.
Leave it go, you wont get any off tastes.

Awesome that's just what I wanted to hear! I just bought a couple Better Bottles that should arrive in 10-14 days, so I was going to rack my apfelwein into one of them when they arrived. But based on your experience, I think I will leave it and use the BB to start my next batch :ban:

Just opened a gallon jug that has been there for a hair over a year! Tasty stuff... had to limit myself to 2 glasses since I had to get some stuff done around here to get my house ready to sell!

I just assembled a half-batch using 2.5 gallons apple juice, 2 pounds of light brown sugar, and the Montrachet yeast. In other words, with twice the recommended amount of sugar. I've seen contradictory posts in the forums: the extra sugar will either cause it to be even drier, or the unfermentable parts of the brown sugar will make it sweeter. Guess I will find out in a couple months.

Yeah my 1st batch was in the bottle after 8 weeks and it tasted okay, even after 8 months in the bottle it's still not great. My last batch got bottled after 5 months in fermenter and WOW, it tasted FREAKIN' AWESOME at bottling!!!!!!

I've noticed that carbonation has taken place much faster in my 22 oz bottles vs. my 12 oz. I cracked open one of each from my Jan 9th brewday (4 months) and the 22 oz tasted remarkably more like a champagne than the 12 oz did - which was more cider-ish.

Just a thought for those looking for more carbonation (naturally) earlier.

Both tasted excellent by the way. I'd highly recommend using brown sugar if you want a hint of molasses taste to the apfelwein.

I have a heating band that I use occasionally. The carboy is sitting on hardwood floors in a cool apartment (roughly 65-67 degrees or so). Should I continue to use the head band? Will there be any adverse effects if I do? Will it help? thanks!

I have a heating band that I use occasionally. The carboy is sitting on hardwood floors in a cool apartment (roughly 65-67 degrees or so). Should I continue to use the head band? Will there be any adverse effects if I do? Will it help? thanks!

You shouldn't need it. Montrachet will work at that temperature.

Welp, I popped open that one bottle of apfelwein that I had put in the frig last week Friday. It was VERY good! A substantial amount of carbonation, and a taste of dry champaigne. The "yeasty" taste when I bottled it is gone. And my second batch is currently in the fermenter!

glenn514:mug:

Has anyone tried using apple juice concentrate instead of dextrose, to provide the extra sugar? The calculation of how much to use would be fairly routine algebra. The apple flavor should be more pronounced.

Currently I have one batch in process using honey, and another using brown sugar. Someday I plan to have a tasting party.

My first batch of Apfelwein has about 3 more weeks in the fermenter, but I made it with two cans of juice concentrate in addition to the 2 pounds of dextrose. I also have a half batch made with 2 pounds of brown sugar (minus what ended up on the floor) instead of the 1 pound of dextrose.

Welp, I popped open that one bottle of apfelwein that I had put in the frig last week Friday. It was VERY good!

I'm glad the plastic juice bottles worked out for you. How long do you think they will last? I would be interested to hear how the Apfelwein ages in the plastic and whether the bottles will hold the carbonation over time.

5 weeks in and my Apfelwein tastes like vinegar.
I transfered it into a 5gal. water bottle so I could use my Better Bottle for another try. Which I started today.
I was surprised to see the bazillion tiny bubbles climbing up the side of the water bottle.
Do we think it is just disturbed entrained oxygen or do we think there might still be hope for it?
I already told the boss not to buy any apple vinegar for a while.
Thanks, Greydog

I'm glad the plastic juice bottles worked out for you. How long do you think they will last? I would be interested to hear how the Apfelwein ages in the plastic and whether the bottles will hold the carbonation over time.

Dunno how long they will last...hopefully long enough for someone to drink the stuff! The one I popped open is acting just like soda in a 2 liter bottle: when you open it up again, it fizzes some more! SWMBO had some with dinner last night, and likes it better with a splash of 7-Up. I had a few sips, and it was mighty tasty...and the bottle was opened on Thursday afternoon. When I first bottled it, there was a noticeable "yeasty" taste, which has now disappeared in the aging process. Also, it has "smoothed out" quite a bit, and goes down very easily!

I finally got around to bottling my last batch last night, giving it 90 days in the primary. I took a small sample taste and man is it ever tart. I am wondering if this was caused by double pitching the wine yeast? I like tart ciders and wines, but this may just be a bit much for my palette. I guess worst case I can always sweeten it with some kind of soda or juice when I serve it. Easier to make a tart wine sweet then a sweet wine tart eh?

Either way I think I may give it a month or so in the bottles before I even consider cracking one of these.

Just bottled my batch made with Nottingham and 2lbs dark brown sugar. Finished at 1.008 giving it about 8.3% alcohol. Was in primary for a month and has been stable at 1.008 for the past week. Samples tasted upfront like sweet apple and finished with a wine aftertaste. The alcohol heat was there but I expect that to mellow as they bottle condition. For being only a month old I am shocked at how well the stuff tasted.

Since my GF wanted it a bit sweeter we sweetened with about 1 and 2/3rd cups of Splenda.

Just got the yeast, nutrient and sugar to make a 2nd batch following the recipe exactly. This stuff is awesome.

I think the politically correct term for GF is SWMBO.

:off: Who was the original SWMBO? Check out the Rumpole stories by John Mortimer.

Ah you are correct!

And I should mention for anyone wanting to copy the 1 and 2/3rd cup of Splenda, the Splenda was the kind advertised as a 1:1 match for measuring sugar. Its a much fluffier version than the stuff in the packets.

:off: Who was the original SWMBO? Check out the Rumpole stories by John Mortimer.
It vastly predates the Mortimer stories - it originated in the 1880s, according to Wiki.

Just to keep on topic, I'll be starting another 1-gallon batch tonight, using 24 oz. of frozen apple juice concentrate and the rest juice. Gives an O.G. of about 1.070.

Yesterday we opened our batch that had been fermenting for about 70 days - followed Edwort's recipe to a T. It was super mellow! After reading about all the alcohol burn that people are experiencing, for us it wasn't noticeable at all.

"Apple-forward with white wine aftertaste" would be the best way I can describe it. We kegged it and are letting it carb up, but definitely had a few samples of it flat on ice. Love it!

Anyone bottled their apfelwein from the keg? I've read the first 200 or so pages, but didn't find anyone writing about that. I am thinking I should start my Christmas 2010 batches pretty soon to give them a solid 6 month of fermenting.

The consensus seems to be: ferment 1-3 months in primary, but for long-term fermenting, rack to secondary or bottle (to avoid yeast soapy taste). Is that right? Will it not age as well if I carb in a keg then bottle it?

Anybody put any of this on oak? Might try 1 gallon after I bottle the rest. Thought on time and amount?

I did, a year ago. Still waiting for it to taste good. I'm pretty sure that I soaked 2 oz of med+ oak cubes in brandy for 2 weeks, then dumped the whole thing in with the wine as I transferred into a secondary, and let that sit for 2 weeks. The oak was too harsh at 6 months, I've been meaning to try it again now that it's been a full year.

Thanks Ed!

"Assembled" this apfelwein on Saturday (4/24/10) and I plan on unveiling it on the 4th of July. Hopefully it can come around in 2 months and be great.

applewanna.jpg

I did, a year ago. Still waiting for it to taste good. I'm pretty sure that I soaked 2 oz of med+ oak cubes in brandy for 2 weeks, then dumped the whole thing in with the wine as I transferred into a secondary, and let that sit for 2 weeks. The oak was too harsh at 6 months, I've been meaning to try it again now that it's been a full year.

So maybe a 1/4 oz in 1 gallon. Wonder how many chips that would end up being, measurable even?

Joey - I thought about it, but I didn't have any more stuff!

That's a 6.5-gallon carboy, so 5-gallons just doesn't look that impressive...

5 weeks in and my Apfelwein tastes like vinegar.
I transferred it into a 5gal. water bottle so I could use my Better Bottle for another try. Which I started today.
I was surprised to see the bazillion tiny bubbles climbing up the side of the water bottle.
Do we think it is just disturbed entrained oxygen or do we think there might still be hope for it?
I already told the boss not to buy any apple vinegar for a while.
Thanks, Greydog

Make sure you clean the bottles VERY WELL.
Once you get the vinegar started, it will be a ***** to stop.
A little vinegar taste seems to go away, but strong vinegar is always going to be vinegar.
:drunk: :confused:

Thanks for the reply.
I've decided to forget about the first batch until I get ready to sample/bottle my second one.
I figure if it doesn't come out of it, I can still bottle some of it for salads and paint removal.
Greydog

I was going to start my first batch, but I was thinking of adding a bottle of oceanspray cranberry juice cocktail. Will that affect fermentation? Has anyone else tried this?

I was going to start my first batch, but I was thinking of adding a bottle of oceanspray cranberry juice cocktail. Will that affect fermentation? Has anyone else tried this?

Ingredients stated as:

Water, Cranberry Juice from Concentrate (25%), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Vitamin C.

I'm not in a the best position to comment TBH, but from what I've read the ingredients shouldn't adversely effect the brew process, dunno about flavour though :p

my first batch is still in the fermenter and all of the samples have been wonderful. hope it makes it to bottle. :ban:

Back