Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So -what would happen if you used a light malt extract instead of corn sugar?

a bit frustrated... So I finish up everything, move the better bottle to a quiet place to sit for a while. Put my airlock on and somehow I think a bit of the vodka I put in got sucked in!

The age old question... Is my Apfelwein ruined??

also how long usually for fermentation to begin?

a bit frustrated... So I finish up everything, move the better bottle to a quiet place to sit for a while. Put my airlock on and somehow I think a bit of the vodka I put in got sucked in!

The age old question... Is my Apfelwein ruined??

also how long usually for fermentation to begin?
Don't worry about the vodka being sucked in - it just adds to the ABV. :) Seriously, why else are you using vodka?

Fermentation should start in a few hours to a day or so.

So in kegging this stuff, keg and carbinate as you would beer I assume? I was thinking of using the BMBF ( We no need no stinking beer gun... ) to transfer to some 16 ounce and 1/2 gallon flip tops.

Any problem with that?

ok, I know this has been beaten to death a thousand (well actually I guess this is probably the 4563rd) times but I'm going to ask anyways.... My apfelwein is going to be about a month and a week old at the time of a party that I am having. I'd like to serve some, though obviously it will not be up to the flavor that it's capable of (in the past, I'd started really drinking it at 5 months). Anyone have any serving suggestions? I'll likely be putting this in a keg and force carbing it (well, maybe like 3 gallons). Perhaps back sweeten a wee bit with apple juice or lactose when I transfer it to the keg? Just looking for ideas in case the "co-host" decides they don't think it's ready to serve or unpalatable. I like the dry refreshing flavor of the original, I'm slightly worried about it being too "green" though (hah the English brown I made will be the same age come day of the party too!).

I would do about a 1:5 mixture of Sprite to Apfelwein. That little bit really makes it taste a ton better when it is new.

such a nice site to see! My Apfelwein is fermenting away in my office next to my Irish Stout & Nut Brown Ale. My office smells like farts which normally is no surprise but fart mixed w/ apple is just funny.

Can't wait to give it a try

I would highly recommend Ed's advice of waiting 6 months to start drinking it. I had it aged for 4 months prior to Christmas and thought it was ok. After 2 more months, it was much better.

It will not be near what it can after 4 weeks. It will taste like a very light bland White Wine and you will be discouraged. I waited 4 months before I started drinking my first batch. I have a 22oz'er left that I'm drinking his Saturday. it is 1 year old. Wonder how it will be :)

Wow...This is one amazing thread. I read the first 30 pages and got just about every question I had answered. I finally had to skip to the last page and give me eyes a break.

Can't wait to whip up my first AW Saturday! Thanks in advance EdWort

So what is the general consensus on that.Four weeks in the carboy and 5 months in the bottle/keg.Is there any advantage to leaving it in the carboy past the 4 weeks.
The other thing I was wondering is it better carbonated. Ed mentions carbonating it on the first page. Or is that just personal preference.

So what is the general consensus on that.Four weeks in the carboy and 5 months in the bottle/keg.Is there any advantage to leaving it in the carboy past the 4 weeks.

+1 for the people that like to age is bottle or carboy better?

alright, lets here from some of you wine oriented persons, I mean in terms of keeping some of this for +1year. I have some bottles that are actually more like +2 years, though I think the only ones left might be the ones with ale yeast, though I could be wrong on that. What additives (sorry, I'm getting back into brewing) to stabilize? Last time I popped a bottle of my old stuff it seemed to be negatively impacted by auto-lysing yeast. Kind of a bitter taint to it. Shoot, I better get another batch started, this one is already almost at 4 weeks!

I have 2 gallons going right now on my counter (split up in gallon jugs). They have been in there for a little under two weeks now and are quit clear. Do I need to leave the smaller batch in for 4 weeks just like the 5 gallon batchs?

I was going to do a five gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket tonight. But I do kind of want to see it ferment and clear. I'm thinking about taking five spare growlers and using tin foil airlocks. What do you think?

Might be better than drilling a hole in the lid of the bucket or something to serve as an airlock.

Any votes? I'm going to go start sanitizing here in 15 minutes, so any thoughts would be appreciated!

I am about to make the Grog Ed mentioned on the 1st page. I haven't carbed the apfelwein yet but it taste great flat. The F.G. was 1.001. Is that too high??

I was going to do a five gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket tonight. But I do kind of want to see it ferment and clear. I'm thinking about taking five spare growlers and using tin foil airlocks. What do you think?

Might be better than drilling a hole in the lid of the bucket or something to serve as an airlock.

Any votes? I'm going to go start sanitizing here in 15 minutes, so any thoughts would be appreciated!

It'd likely turn out better in the bucket, as it would ferment in bulk. Get yourself a carboy, and after a month or so, move it into that to let it clear if you're worried about that.

It'd likely turn out better in the bucket, as it would ferment in bulk. Get yourself a carboy, and after a month or so, move it into that to let it clear if you're worried about that.

Yea, I have a bunch of buckets that I use, and don't really mind not being able to see everything. I just thought that this might be a recipe where I could divide it up and see. No real need for a carboy here, I'll just give it plenty of time.

I will be popping my apfelwein making cherry in T-Minus 6 hours. Got everything waiting for me at home, only thing stopping me is work.

And Ed, I am doing it "Ed's way" for my first attempt!

Whelp, I finally made my first batch of apfelwein. When I went to Costco all they had was motts or the kirkland brand. I decided to go with the kirkland because it was fresh pressed, not from concentrate and had no ascorbic acid.

It's been fermenting for about 12 hours now, and I didnt really see any activity yet, albeit, i have it in a room about 64 degrees (the only room i dont mind stinking up like sulphur).

Should I move it to a warmer room? I may get some flack from it, but hopefully swmbo wont mind too much....

I used montrachet.

I do know what ascorbic acid is (chem majors anyone?), but I thought, the less ingredients the better.

My AW has been brewing for 17 days now and is beginning to clear. I will add some Vodka to the Airlock tomorrow, it seems to be evaporating and I really don't wan't the first batch turning into Vineagar :)

My basement kinda smells like a 80 year old diabetic pissed on the floor with the distinct sweetness in the air without any amonia though.

It will be cool to try this stuff :) Carbonated and non carbonated :)

I will try to keep away from it until first week of august (I need it that weekend) but I am not sure I will succeed.

My AW has been brewing for 17 days now and is beginning to clear. I will add some Vodka to the Airlock tomorrow, it seems to be evaporating and I really don't wan't the first batch turning into Vineagar :)

My basement kinda smells like a 80 year old diabetic pissed on the floor with the distinct sweetness in the air without any amonia though.

It will be cool to try this stuff :) Carbonated and non carbonated :)

I will try to keep away from it until first week of august (I need it that weekend) but I am not sure I will succeed.

Wow.. I don't know if I could wait that long. I was thinking 2 months in primary and a month to bottle carb. Is this ok or will it be much longer. I know that it will carb better later but i was just gonna try at a month and then at week intervals...

I just started 2 gallons on Saturday. My first time brewing anything! I have a gallon with Montrachet yeast and a gallon with Saphron Ale Yeast. I'll see which I prefer and go from there. They were bubbling away after 12 hours! Very cool!

Back