Maltodextrin - amounts and when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBob

Reaction score
I'm curious to get some input on this. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of fruit (cranberry) ale. I'm using a recipe that I have tried previously and found it to lack a little body. I was thinking of adding some maltodextrin but am not sure how much...this will be my first time using this.
This was of course an afterthought (pre-planning has never been my stongpoint)so I've already brewed the batch and primary fermentation is basically finished...I know MD is "non-fermentable" so adding it later isn't an issue. But should I add it to the secondary, or at kegging?...I've heard there could be a small percentage of fermentables present so I'm assuming the secondary makes more sense...Is this right?
OH, one last part to my 20 questions (sorry about that) does boiling it "hurt" it in any way or should I just heat it to 160-170 for a few minutes?
Thanks in advance

I usually add it to the boil, about 8 oz, but I suppose you could go in the secondary. Maybe 4 oz in the boil, and then more if you think it needs it. Im sure someone with more experience will have a better idea on it though.

Maltodextrin may have very small amounts of fermentables, but not enough to notice. Boiling doesn't change it, so when you add it doesn't matter. Since you are adding body to a batch, I'd mix 4 oz. in with the priming sugar and check the batch for body. Add another 4 oz. if necessary, but remember, your perception of body will change once the batch carbonates.

Back