Malting triticale & use as base grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
Triticale is a hybrid between wheat and rye.

I was given several pounds of triticale upon agreement that I would split the final product with him.

ForumRunner_20131127_220604.jpg

ForumRunner_20131127_220628.jpg

Currently I am 24 hours into the sprout. I have tiny agrospires showing in 95% or more of the grain. The germination rate is really impressive. I will dry and kiln it in 24 more hours. Not worried about all the ergot fungus fuss, as the malting is half over and the whole lot looks clean and happy as can be.

After malting, I will toast it at 180F or less for a few hours. Just looking to dry it for milling.

I will be using it in a light ale recipe, as I want to see what flavors the triticale brings. Unsure what yeast or hops to pair with it. I suppose my obvious choices are some sort of RyePA, a Belgian saison, belgian whit, heffeweizen, or german wheat style.

I have maris otter, pilsen, pale ale, ect.. to pair it with. I will have to use alot of rice hulls, as I have been told it makes more gum than wheat.

Should be an interesting brew. If yall have any ideas or suggestions i'm open.

Well, rye malt and flaked tritticale go well with pils malt, so I would go with that.
Citra,Simcoe or Amarillo would work well in a hopburst ipa-ish

Im leaning towards a saison using belgian pilsen and possibly grains of paradise. I will likely use a clean saison yeast so as not to mutilate the flavors of the triticale. Im thinking I may use french strisselsoalt, but not sure. Also considering zythos and other bold style NZ hops.

Have never used grains of paradise, but have them laying around. I also have lots of coriander, lemon peel, tangerine peel and bitter orange.

Any specific yeast strain, spice or hop suggestions?

This is what it looks like 36 hours into germination. The speed and germination rate of this grain continue to impress me.

ForumRunner_20131128_154758.jpg

ForumRunner_20131128_154815.jpg

I have transferred the malt from large rubbermaid shallow rectangular pans onto a home window screen for drying. I have set this screen on the kitchen table underneath the ceiling fan on high. I will let it set and air dry for several hours, possibly overnight. Then I will kiln it at 170F (my lowest oven setting) for 2-3 hours. After kilning I will shake off the dried roots. Finally, I will allow the malt to rest for a few weeks in a loosly closed container or air permiable bag.

Im thinking to aim for a very low ABV on this. Maybe 3.5 or 4% for a daily drinker.

I dried and kilned the triticale malt last night. results were pleasing. I have gone ahead and started a second batch of grain to increase total amount i can use in my recipe. I plan on letting the second batch germinate an extra 24 hours to see what happens. So long as i can avoid mold on the grain, i believe the extra 24 hours will significantly increase the diastatic power io the malt.

I went for 2.5 hours at 170 F and then shut off oven, but did not open or remove the grain trays. let them cool overnight. i will sieve the roots off then collect the grain into a jar or paper bag tonight.

I'll update this one again closer to brew day. We have decided on a clean (no brett) fermented saison with grains of paradise.

20131129_073114.jpg

20131129_073120.jpg

Brewed this one today. Wort tastes great. Gravity is low as intended @ 1.040 it is much darker than I was expecting, but not suprising since it was a rye hybrid.

ForumRunner_20131201_210248.jpg

ForumRunner_20131201_210333.jpg

Regular 2-row & golden naked oat saison on right and the triticale saison is left.

ForumRunner_20131201_210352.jpg

ForumRunner_20131201_210401.jpg

Nothing special about the brew day. Used the grains of paradise at 10 min. Used strisselspalt at 60, 20 and 15 min.

1.5 lb 2 row
2 lb weyermann abbey malt
3 lb malted triticale
.5 lb corn sugar
60 mash
Batch sparge.
Boil 60

ForumRunner_20131201_210419.jpg

ForumRunner_20131201_210438.jpg

I thought I would take a few minutes to update this thread.

We kegged this one about a month ago. I have several notes.

The beer was great. Every one who tried it loved it and I was pleased as well. It was far milder in the earth and spice department than I was expecting. I reused a WAP565 cake from my last saison. Perhaps the large cell count muted the clove tones and ester profile. They were there, but nothing like the previous beer from this yeast.

I expected a large boost in cracked pepper and earth notes with the use of Paradise Grains. I did not perceive any real effect from the grains. Perhaps I just do not know exactly what I am looking for. I did get some spice, pepper being one of them, but I believe that was more from the yeast.

It was unusually clear from the start, and was crystal clear within days in the keg. Color was deep gold.

Thick head that would stand to the last drink.

No major notes on the hops. I do belive they were a great choice, as I wanted a classic styled beer. In the future, I will change them out for something a bit more exotic.

Final gravity was 1.006 for 4% ABV.

I got a lot of folks brewing saison beer in the middle of winter by tasting this one off at the shop!

For the last few weeks, I have been malting a second batch of triticale. I think this time I was able to perfect my malting and kilning method to produce an even more flavorful malt. I have 7 lbs of malted/kilned triticale and 2.5 lbs unmalted.

I will be brewing a 10 gallon batch tomorrow using 9.5 lb triticale, 6 lb belgian pilsner and 2 lbs white wheat malt. It will be hopped with a 50/50 blend of Nelson Sauvin and Australian Summer at 30, 20, 10 and 0 minutes . No bittering hops. 70 minute boil.

One half Will be fermented with Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan, the other half will be done with Wyeast 3726 Farmhouse Ale.

I did a similar beer with wheat, Pilsen & raw wheat using white labs farmhouse ale. We are still drinking on it. A beautiful peach farmhouse ale. I hope to get pleasing results from wyeast's version.

The other half will be my first use of Weihenstephaner yeast. It will also be the closest thing we have ever made to a hefeweizen, although it will be a bit dark to call it a heff.

I will post the progress on this one as well.

Here's the product of triticale batch #2.

ForumRunner_20140113_125801.jpg

ForumRunner_20140113_125834.jpg

Left is 3726 Wyeast Farmhouse
Right is 3068 Wyeast Weihenstephan

The final recipe:

7 lb malted triticale
2.5 lb unmalted raw triticale
6 lb belgian pilsner
2 lb flaked rice
1/3 lb rice hulls

Hop burst with 50/50 blend of Nelson Sauvin & Australian Summer (1 oz each)
Hop schedule:
.5 oz 30 min
.5 oz 20 min
.5 oz 10 min
.5 oz 0 min

45 minute boil

OG: 1.040

This batch came out MUCH lighter than the last triticale saison. I am guessing the dark color in the last recipe must have come from my use of Wyermanns Abbey Malt & 2-row instead of belgian pilsner.

Currently both are fermenting ambient room temp, with the liquid crystal thermometer showing 68F. I may or may not apply a heat belt or temp control. If I do, it would likely be the farmhouse version, as the Brett character would benefit from the high heat.

We shall see....

Latest posts

Back