Malt price jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33rm3

Reaction score
I just noticed today that Northern Brewer's malt prices just jumped $.50/#. Is there a malt shortage or is this a normal yearly price hike? If anyone has any hypothesis or information on what may have caused this it would be much appreciated.

Gotta stop those stupid corn subsidies. They result in higher gas prices, lower miles per gallon, and higher food and beer prices.

On a side note, they show Coors in the picture when discussing prices being higher yet no discussion of water prices increasing? I figured it would only affect beers that use hops and malts.

Of base malts from North Country Malt went from about $25 (~$.45/lb) in August to about $35 (~$.64/lb) last week. 42% increase. Import prices (including Canada) are affected by the weak dollar as well as other factors.

I just paid 79.00$US for a 55lb bag of Marris Otter.....I paid 56$ last August. This $uck$.

last year I paid .79 a pound, this year it's 1.00 a pound. Lets just say my "Tip" jar has been moved to a more in your face place in my shed.

Last weekend I paid $29.95 for a 50lb sack of 2-row at midwest, today the price is $42.95! 43% price increase!

It's still WAY cheaper than a RV. Junked mine & just the savings on registration & insurance will keep me in makings AND any commercial beer I buy during the year.

Despite the increases in barley prices, my neighbors are still only breaking even on growing the stuff. Fertilizer has almost tripled in two years. Red diesel has doubled with W.

We are going to have to grow our own hops and barley soon. Six packs are going to be $10.00 in the near future.

All the English malts at Northernbrewer are over $2 a pound. Some are as much as $2.40 per pound unmilled. All the Briess caramels are $1.90 and up per pound. Basically any imported malt is 2 bucks or better a pound.

Here's another perspective. How much is a batch of my Haus Pale Ale. From NB it is $27.85 + $7.99 shipping for a total of $35.86. From Williams Brewing it is $25.45 + $6.75 shipping for a total of $32.20. From Austin Home Brew it is $27.22 but I save on shipping.

Cheese und Krackers, it's getting expensive. I'm glad I'm stocked up for the up coming grain drought. I still can make a batch for under 8 bucks. :D

A lot of commodity grains have gone up in price but I think you will find the primary reason for this is the increase in oil prices. Grains are low priced, high volume and weight products, so shipping costs are a significant part of the final retail price. Since the grains are shipped multiple times from grower to malter to retailer to you (and several other steps in between), shipping prices add up fast.
As someone who grew up in a rural community and has a number of relatives in the agriculture industry I am happy to see them making a decent profit on their efforts. My only concern is that it will result in a market glut in the near future and a big price drop as too many more acres are planted.
Craig

It's a perfect storm for grain prices. Increasing fuel costs (processing and transportation), a quickly developing and serious world grain shortage, and for americans, the slide of the dollar. I don't see a future major price decrease in the cards.

Just picked up a 50# sack of Breiss 2-row today for $46+tax

TheH2 said:
On a side note, they show Coors in the picture when discussing prices being higher yet no discussion of water prices increasing? I figured it would only affect beers that use hops and malts.
Too funny!!! I have always referred to Coors as beer flavored p*ss water. :D

:tank:

TheH2 said:
Gotta stop those stupid corn subsidies. They result in higher gas prices, lower miles per gallon, and higher food and beer prices.

Hahahahaha!! That's rich!

Did you know Sam Adams is helping out any brewery that needs hops? They have something like 20,000 pounds overstock and they're selling them at cost. Pretty cool!

I can get 25 kg (55lb) bags from the local malthouse for $25.

Only one selection though, Canadian 2-row pale malt.

mrkeeg said:
I can get 25 kg (55lb) bags from the local malthouse for $25.

Only one selection though, Canadian 2-row pale malt.

Sweet Deal! $25 Canadian. That used to be about 2 bucks US, but now it's like $100 US. :D

Feed barley is up also. Just paid $22.40 for two #50 sacks (tax included). I got all 100 lbs doing a first soak 57 F in a 32gal garbage can. I'll keep you posted.

Wort hog, might be a silly question, but are you malting that feed barley for beer making? How does it work out?

Malt prices just jumped huge here a few weeks ago...
LHBS was selling 50# sacks of Great Western 2-Row for $46, now they're $65!

potatoe said:
Wort hog, might be a silly question, but are you malting that feed barley for beer making? How does it work out?
We're going to find out how it works. If it don't the ducks and muskrats will be well fed!

The blaim is the arabs oil and oil speculators in the stock market. Industry followed and now you are watching airlines fold and everything else along with it.
Arrrrrg

Wort*hog said:
We're going to find out how it works. If it don't the ducks and muskrats will be well fed!

Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Feed barley isn't usually the best quality to malt due to higher protien
levels etc. that barley grown for malting don't have. But YMMV.:mug:

Latest posts

Back