Malt liqour / beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfgcdub

Reaction score
TL;DR version: I'm curious about making a beverage similar to Smirnoff Green Apple Twist which for the unfamiliar is a "malt beer".

Full story: I'm just getting into brewing so I don't know a lot yet. I've been reading HBT for a couple months now so I already have a huge list of different beers and ciders that I can't wait to try brewing. My wife has been fairly supportive (she is the one that bought me the starter kit for this upcoming Christmas) and I would like to see if it is possible to brew up something similar to her favorite drink of choice which is Smirnoff Green Apple Twist. I read the bottle and packaging and they list it as a malt beer. Now obviously it's not a beer by how I would've defined beer but that leads me to believe that it isn't a vodka mixed drink at least.

So I guess what I'm looking for is information and advise. Based on my very limited knowledge I'm guessing that maybe this is something similar to making a flavored liqueur with sugar and yeast but honestly I have no idea so I turn to you oh wise ones and I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

And if I'm way off base don't feel bad about telling me so, I'd rather know I was wrong than continue wondering :)

That stuff isn't brewed as much as it is "manufactured". I do believe they start with a very light "malt base", which is to say, a very small amount of actual malt (be it barley or corn or rice or whatever) and a good amount of sugar. Then it's filtered considerably so it's more clear and no "off flavors" are present. I believe some may even add in distilled liquor to reach final goals. Flavorings are certainly all artificial. To be quite honest, I wouldn't even drink that stuff anyways. I don't believe they are required to list ingredients, and they sure as hell aren't using anything natural to get to the end product.

If you wanted something similar, but not exactly the same, look at doing a very light bodied cider, or a VERY light lager or ale with a lot of adjuncts like rice or sugar. Once it is completed, sweeten and flavor with whatever natural products you desire. Do realize that sweetening like that will likely require kegging.

I'm willing to bet a light bodied cider (plenty of recipes here for that) backsweetened with some sour apple will be "close enough" if not better.

It is called a "malt beverage" because the alcohol in it was derived from grain via fermentation. The industrial process used to produce the base while technically still brewing includes processes, ingredients and equipment that aren't readily available to the home brewer. The reason it's a "malt beverage" is one of taxes. Such alcopops in the rest of the world use diluted distilled neutral spirits as the base. Since distilled alcohol is taxed at a higher rate that simply fermented alcohol in the US the specially produced, squeaky clean and clear fermented base is used to save money on taxes.

If you want to search here and on other homebrewing sights there are claimed successes in producing home made alcopops like hard lemonade and such. You could use the same methods and sub the appropriate flavorings to suit your purpose. Or you could just buy a bottle of vodka or Everclear to provide the ethanol.

Just tell her, now that she bought you this kit, it's time to widen that palette!! Make her a simple blonde ale or wheat beer with fruit like raspberries or strawberries!!

For what it's worth, I made the Skeeter Pee lemonade wine/beverage/whatever and while it was fun, it isn't that close to Mike's and really isn't worth the effort.

My two cents, if your wife isn't a beer drinker and prefers "girly" beverages, spend the next 2-3 years brewing your as@ off and she'll eventually come over to the dark side. When I met my wife she was a Zima girl, then she moved up to Bud Light, 12 years later (3 of which I homebrewed) she prefers Sierra Nevada and isn't afraid to try an IPA.

Be very very careful. 3 of my gal pals suddenly decided they love my brew. The trouble is that I spur them off as I dream them up so keeping 'em all happy ain't as dreamy as you may think. Aw , hell, it is pleasant misery.

Back