Malt info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
I have a question about dry malt extract. I was working on a recipe that had me use 8.5 lbs extra light. I had 9 lbs, because of the way it came bagged. I was talking 1 and 1/4 cup out for for priming sugar. well what happened I lost tract of what I was doing and took the 1 and 1/4 cup added it to about a 1/2 gallon of water brought it to a boil, then added it to my fermentation bottle. so basically I added 9 lbs of dry malt extract. Question is, Does anyone think this will cause and problem with the beer taste and balance? Thanks:mug:

Have you been drinking? I can barely understand what you are trying to say. :D

But, if you added 9lbs of DME to your beer instead of 8.5lbs, you'll wind up with a little more alcohol....

(why were you trying to save 1 1/4 cups for priming?)

Sorry about the typing and my though process when typing. I blame the cold meds. Well the only reason I took out the 1 and 1/4 cups was because the recipe called for 8.5 lbs, and instead of wasting the rest of the DME I was going to use it for the priming. Instead of using the priming sugar.

Gotcha. :mug:

It won't make too much of a difference. 8.5lbs is a pretty high amount for a five gallon batch anyway - so 9 won't be too bad.

Back