Malt ice cream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabass07

Reaction score
So I had the urge to mash some grain, caramelize it, and put it in some ice cream. It has a really good combination of light and dark caramel flavors. A touch of burnt marshmallow. I'll definitely make this again!

For the mash:

2.5 cups of water for the mash.
4oz marris otter
2oz caravienna
2oz specialB

I got it up to 150F and put it a heated oven for half an hour.

Strain out the grain and boil the liquid until it's thick and it's reduced to about 3/4 cup. The thicker the better since adding too much water will cause ice crystals in ice cream.

For the ice cream:

2 cups of heavy cream
2.5 cups of 1/2 and 1/2
2 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp of salt.

Mix all of the ice cream ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat it until it gets thick and hits 160F. Mix the caramelized malt syrup with the ice cream and chill it overnight. Put it in an ice cream maker.

Reminds me of a dessert we used to offer when I was working at a brewpub: a Porter float. I had a very chocolatey porter that I made. One day, on a whim we decided to put a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream in it. It was fabulous.

Back