Malt Extract longevity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dollhousebrewery

Reaction score
I am pretty new (brewing my 5th right now) and am looking at lowering costs. How long will extract stay good? Is it best if used immidiately or can I store it for a period of time. I am looking at picking up a large quantity to use over an expanse of time. I can get 60 lbs for between 100 and 140 dollars. For me thats between 5 and 10 weeks of time it could be sitting, depending on how much I use per batch. Is this too long to let it sit, or can I let it sit for 2 months without effect on the resulting taste?

Thanks,
Doll House Brewer
Nate

I bought a can of Brewferm Christmas from my local supplier for only 5 bucks because it was old and it turned out fine. Canned malt extract probably lasts a while.

Is this LME or DME?

I would NOT recommend using anything but very fresh LME. It changes colors and can exhibit off flavors after some time.

Although I have no first hand experience with it, I have heard that this is not the case with DME.

Pay the extra for bulk DME and put the left over in an air tight container, probably somewhere dark, and cool would be good.

Thanks a ton guys, thats what I needed to know.

Cubbies, no need to be rude, I thought the beginner section was for beginners to ask questions.

Back