Malt extract for brew enhancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a recipe that I have been given that calls for 6LB of light malt extract to which I have found to be quite expensive. Before I go and buy all of the ingredients I have a question or two.

1. What difference would it make if I swapped 2LB for brew enhancer instead of malt extract and how much difference would it make if I swapped 4LB ?? I want to make a really good beer but if I can reduce the cost by quite alot an not effect the brew byy much surely it's worth it right ?

Brew enhancers are a very poor substitution for extracts. A pond or two might be ok if the malt bill isn't too light to start with. forget 4 lbs.

unionrdr said:
Brew enhancers are a very poor substitution for extracts. A pond or two might be ok if the malt bill isn't too light to start with. forget 4 lbs.

It's 6lb to start with do you think I will be ok to substitute 2lb ?

Out of 6lbs of extract,2lbs would be as far as I would go. But it will lighten the mouthfeel & dry it up a bit. 6lbs may sound like a lot,but it's the average amount for 5 gallons of beer.

amandabab said:
Muntons is 40% DME/60% dextrose. Its one of the more expensive enhancers, sometimes more expencive than the DME your substituting with it (depending where you live).

It's very well prices where I am 1lb of dme near me is £4 and 2lb of brew enhancer is £5.50 alot better value lol but obviously not the same quality

Latest posts

Back